jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (15 posts)

Cooking in a Crock Pot

1. lanealanea profile image60
    lanealaneaposted 6 years ago

I want to cook, healthy foods in my crock pot. Whole, healthy, raw foods, does anyone have any great ways to do that? My first try, I boiled chicken, then added the chicken, water and boughon cubes,canned green beans, carrots, rice. & was satisfied. Any more healthy ideas please? we eat late dinner every night, need some ideas.

2. Rochelle Frank profile image88
    Rochelle Frankposted 6 years ago

I have some favorites-- one is cooking a lean pork roast with a bottle of root beer (yes, root beer)for about 6 hours, then draining the liquid, shredding the pork and adding a cup or more of barbeque sauce to simmer another hour or two. Put it on french roll buns-- or over rice.
    I use my crock a lot-- have even used it (taking the crock out of the cooker) to make stew or chili on top of the woodstove during a power outage.

lanealaneaposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Thank you!!!

2. Ron Montgomery profile image60
      Ron Montgomeryposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I use sweet sodas a lot myself to marinate pork. The acid helps to tenderize the connective tissue.

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image61
        SomewayOuttaHereposted 6 years ago in reply to this

...now that is interesting...i'll have to try it - marinate for how long?

oh I see - 6 hours...

1. Ron Montgomery profile image60

No, the 6 hours Rochelle stated is the cooking time for her method.  I marinate thick pork chops for 24 hours and then grill them.  I don't measure my ingredients, but mine are roughly 1/2 cup soy sauce, 1/4 cup water, 1 cup cola, and juice of 1 fresh lime.

I'm sure you can find many similar recipes in collections of Jamaican / Caribbean cooking.

thanks...i'm usually preparing a pork roast (small one)...i'll try same marinating time etc....roasted in oven or on the bbq (charcoal)

1. Ron Montgomery profile image60

Which cut do you use for your roast?

...mostly butt/blade...

sometimes tenderloin

3. eatlikenoone profile image73
    eatlikenooneposted 6 years ago

I have heard of people using soda with ham, but not with a pork roast, but of course makes sense since it is the same animal obviously. I will have to look into trying that.

lanealaneaposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I will check out your hub

working