jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

How to handle kid's language development in multilingual family?

1. Sheila Kemp profile image57
    Sheila Kempposted 7 years ago

How to handle kid's language development in multilingual family?

(i.e. mother and father speak different languages, together they speak English)

2. ptosis profile image72
    ptosisposted 7 years ago

I've heard about a child that have 4 languages - each set of grandparents spoke a different language. Everybody was worried that he would get mixed up but he handled it fine. Didn't mix up the language. Before 5 is when to learn.

I wouldn't be worried and continue having to speak all the language s/he can - while still able to.

3. sir_tallest profile image62
    sir_tallestposted 7 years ago

Ptosis is right.....I live in a country that has more than 350 languages and to be able to speck more than just one is a thing of great pride....like receiving an achievement award....most of them learn it when they were very young and somehow didn't mix it up....
    I know a kid....she's 4 and can speck 5 languages as fluent as a 4 year old can speck in any language......2 new people have moved around her so we expect her to soon start picking the languages

I'll say be happy for her an encourage her

4. MickS profile image71
    MickSposted 7 years ago

The most important language for any child to learn fluently, is the predominant language of the country of likely, permanent residence.  Whilst it is useful for children to learn their parents' and even grandparents' mother tongue, if the parents and other family don't speak the language of their adopted home, we have to really ask the question - what are they doing there?

5. swapna123 profile image65
    swapna123posted 7 years ago

I used to speak four languages fluently when i was 3 or 4.. My 4 year old kid speaks three and learning 2 more.. It's easy for kids to pick up different languages.  It's better if one person converses with her in one language. That way, the kid doesn't get confused or mix up all the languages. I mean, let each parent speak to the kid in their own language. That would be helpful

6. livmdaniels profile image57
    livmdanielsposted 7 years ago

It's hard work that can be fun for everybody. There are a few methods known. I invite you to check my hub for some information and ideas.I'm Brazilian, married to an American and have two children. It's been pretty challenging, but I do see some results... smile
    http://hubpages.com/hub/My-challenge-in … ngual-kids