jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

When should your kids get their first cell phone?

1. amberlybites profile image75
    amberlybitesposted 7 years ago

When should your kids get their first cell phone?

2. zoey24 profile image76
    zoey24posted 7 years ago

My Son is nearly eleven and has been asking for a phone for the last two years ("but Mum all my friends have got one") i dont see the point of him having one when i already knows where he is at all times and he see's his friends and family every day, so who would he call? i think i will let him have one when he is fourteen, because he will be going out more and i will want him to be able to phone if he needs me.

3. profile image0
    Richard Stephenposted 7 years ago

It depends on each situation.  My kids got their cell phones when they started high school.   That would put them at 14 or so.  They all played sports and would need to call to be picked up after practices that often ran long and road games we were unable to attend.

Their social life also expanded in high school and they would need to be picked up after games, dances, study groups, club activities, etc.  Basically, once their schedules were more dependent on their activities than they were on Mom and Dad it became a necessity for us.

4. swapna123 profile image65
    swapna123posted 7 years ago

I think I would buy one for my kid only if she is going to be studying at some other city. That would mean that she be atleast 17 years old. I would say 16 or 17 is the time.