jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Should parents be required to attend parenting classes before being permitted to

1. edmondpogi profile image60
    edmondpogiposted 7 years ago

Should parents be required to attend parenting classes before being permitted to raise children?

2. Diane Inside profile image80
    Diane Insideposted 7 years ago

no I do not believe so as I am sure there are some parents who can do better than any child rearing class can teach them.  However if there are parents who have had children taken away from them, due to abuse of neglect I believe they should have to take parenting classes before they get them back.

3. bushraismail profile image59
    bushraismailposted 7 years ago

parenting comes naturally.........take a look at the animals. but at this age if a to-be-parent feels uncomfortable or needs more help then these classes would help.
    hope i helped you!

4. MickS profile image70
    MickSposted 7 years ago

no-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

5. nightwork4 profile image61
    nightwork4posted 7 years ago

not a chance. having someone else tell you how to raise your kids is not only wrong but useless . it's natural to know what to do, if you care you will do fine.

6. profile image0
    Richard Stephenposted 7 years ago

This might not seem like a bad idea at first glance.  After all, who wouldn't want to be a good parent?  The problem is whose philosophy of parenting is taught?  This is a very controversial area and everyone has their own opinion of what constitutes good parenting.  The only way it can be mandatory is if the government makes it a requirement.  Then we have the government dictating to us how to parent and what defines good parenting.  Having seen how well our government had done in other areas I sure don't want them telling me how to raise my kids!  The consequences could be frightening ...

7. amberjones21 profile image55
    amberjones21posted 7 years ago

No, I do not think parents should be required to take parenting classes before being able to parent. After all, parenting is a natural thing that comes as mother, father, and child(ren) begin learning and growing together. At birth, there is a natural bonding process that begins and for the mother, it begins at pregnancy.

There is no text book way to parent and no book that will ever truly tell you how to raise your child. Every person is different and will, therefore, raise their child different.

On the other hand, there are parents out there who have taken the wrong paths whether it's general irresponsibiity, drugs, theft...and the list goes on. Some have had their children taken away and some that haven't. I believe these parents should have to take parenting classes before being able to get their children back. It isn't fair for the children of our society to suffer because their parents are unresponsible. What most children that are in these types of homes don't know, is that their parent does love them but they are just aren't good parents.

working