jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

How old do you think is appropriate to allow your daughter to go to a skating ri

1. breathe2travel profile image81
    breathe2travelposted 7 years ago

How old do you think is appropriate to allow your daughter to go to a skating rink on weekend...

nights without adult supervision?  My neighbors let their 4th grader, and another neighbor their 5th grader go -- and have asked my daughter to accompany them.  My daughter is 11, but I am not comfortable with dropping her off at the skating rink -- not because of her or her friends, but because of other scenarios commonplace at rinks.  Your thoughts?

2. Wendi M profile image80
    Wendi Mposted 7 years ago

My personal opinion is that 11 years old is far too young to be out and about on your own...because of those other scenarios.

I waited until my daughter turned 13 before I allowed her to go to the mall with her friends, and even then there were parents involved with the drop-offs and pick-ups.

3. Polly C profile image92
    Polly Cposted 7 years ago

I don't know, it depends on the place really, and the time of night. What is the atmosphere like? I'm not sure what you mean by scenarios - will it be a very adult place? Skating was my main hobby as a child and my sister and I used to be dropped off alone at night until 10.15pm, but it was at a club not a public session, where everyone knew us.  Having said that, we often used to leave the premises to go to the nearby chip shop, with a group of friends and never asked our parents.

11 is quite young, and I have a ten year old son who is just beginning to seek independence, so I know how you feel. I don't think I would be happy for my son to do it unless it was very early in the evening, and even then I think I'd be inclined to hang about somewhere nearby until the end. But he is a whole year younger. Maybe it would be ok if you absolutely trusted your daughter to stay inside the rink and do nothing but skate until you collected her, but it's difficult to say.

4. sharon e dix profile image58
    sharon e dixposted 7 years ago

Greetings , I am a mom of young adult children , and many times i struggled with which way to go for their lives are a clean slate that we write upon their hearts. Hear is what I did ,I all ways was near to ward off trouble and what they could not see coming, i also looked at the maturity of my child's mind and friends and asked my self was i setting them up for open trouble , Are they at a place they can handle there own self to say yes when need be and no when need be and did I give my young person the knowledge to set the course, I am sure if you are asking these questions you are doing a great job or well do a great job. May all your dreams come true. Sharon e Dix

Closed to reply

working