jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

How do you motivate your child(ren) to do his/her/their best in school?

1. breathe2travel profile image79
    breathe2travelposted 7 years ago

How do you motivate your child(ren) to do his/her/their best in school?

I am having difficulty finding the way that best motivates my oldest child and only daughter.  She normally is a straight A, above grade-level student.  Last year, most of the year was review for her (new school & she does not test well -- she over-analyzes) -- she was bored.  She maintained a B average, but seldom studied... even got 0s on some assignments.  This year, she is in Adv classes, but still does not prepare for the class she is least interested in... We've tried restrtiction(s) as well as $ reward for grades... she's simply not interested.  She's only 11.

2. ddsurfsca profile image75
    ddsurfscaposted 7 years ago

It's tricky with kids and school sometimes.  I found out my middle son who was diagnosed as a slow learner and was put into special ed for 3 years of high school, was actually a genious and finished two four year BA degrees in a year and a half.  When kids do not respond to restriction, and most don't for it is a negative reinforcement, most of the time a positive reinforcement will.  For example tell her that she will not be allowed to play video games until her homework is finished, but each day that she finishes it without having to be forced or told, she gets something she really likes.  Find a way to encourage her to motivate herself without the punishment is far better.  I only had boys so I don't know what girls like to do best, but I am sure you can figure that part out. 
    Telling a child of 11 yrs. that she will be rewarded for good grades is a difficult one for her to carry out for the reward of her efforts is quite a wait.  It is better if you can shorten it down to maybe Fridays, if she can bring a note from school that she did all her assignments that week, she can do whatever it is for her reward on the weekend.

3. profile image49
    binu12posted 7 years ago

If u want your kids to excel in school, don't force them to study. Never ever compare them with other children.

Instead help them to make books their friend. Help them gain practical knowledge by making tthe fundamentas clear rather than gaining bookish knowledge.

4. sriparna profile image81
    sriparnaposted 7 years ago

You are already promising rewards, which should work. But make the rewards and appreciation more tangible and easily achievable. Find out her strengths and praise her. Stop rebuking and comparing with other kids or other siblings. Once she understands that you respect her creativity and space, keep promises and appreciate when she does anything good, she will start showing interest. You cannot achieve anything by scolding and lecturing, children are very sensitive these days.

Closed to reply

working