jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

As A Child, How Were You Disciplined? Should Today’s Children Should Be Discipli

1. ngureco profile image83
    ngurecoposted 7 years ago

As A Child, How Were You Disciplined? Should Today’s Children Should Be Disciplined Like That?

2. wychic profile image89
    wychicposted 7 years ago

My mom had a couple of different methods of disciplining -- some I agree with, and some I don't. The first was used when I was fairly little, if I started throwing fits she'd make me sit with my nose in the corner until I calmed down. The only problem was that I always turned it into a battle of wills -- I knew she could hear me, and would continue screaming as long as possible...even to the extent of having a concerned neighbor call DFS after a couple of hours. That said, I use a similar method with my son, except that he goes to his bedroom without his favored toys and sits on his bed until he's calm...he knows I can't hear him very well...and then he has to come downstairs and sit calmly while we discuss what he did wrong (he's 5 now, been doing that since he was 3).

The other thing my mom used was spankings...as I got older, I only got stronger-willed, and quickly discovered that I had a lot more time to waste than she did in any given day. While spankings may have a place in some discipline, I know they didn't work for me, and certainly don't work for my son (in my ex-husband's house). The only time I ever use spankings is if my son acts out violently -- in the real world, violence will be responded to with violence -- but for everything else, we want him to know that calm and reasonable is the way to handle problems, not lashing out.

3. the clean life profile image80
    the clean lifeposted 7 years ago

Oh yes!!! I think so.  We parents today are too easy on our children and they tend to just walk all over us, if we let them. My father was 100% Italian and when he said something you had better listen and you know what, that discipline made me the man I am today. We have to be more strict with out children.

4. Liam Hall profile image54
    Liam Hallposted 4 years ago

My mum ever told me off with a stern voice or smack back of my legs, my ass or back of my hands. And i grew up to be a polite gentleman. Whoever saying"oh you should talk to them to try to calm them down" or "place them in a spot without thier toy" that will only work if there under 9 years old any older they seem not to care and dont learn the lesson. Please grow up you need to slap your kids leg or back sides time to time. No it wont make them fear you it make them fear to the the action they did to deserve a smack again because of  parents thinking smacking is bad majority of kids now swear all the time and is spoiled.

working