discipline to children 5 -11

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (11 posts)
  1. profile image49
    lovely1456posted 13 years ago

ok discipline is a good thing to teach kids a lesson because it teaches them the diffrence between good and bad now some people say ok im not spanking my kid because i dont want her or him to hate me. they will only will grow to hate you f you beat them  with a baseball bat or a metal pole ok. spanking is very common in this world it tells kids what you did was wrong and it teaches them  bot to do it again. If you havent tried putting them in a corner or putting them in a time out chair. Then i would suggest you try that before considering spanking because they might just lisen to 'go to the corner or sit in the time out seat' But other wise if they do not lisen to that spanking is another way of discipline. But if spanking dont work ground them take away a toy  or tv time or send them to there rooms but make sure that you have took there toys and stuff that they like. And what ever you do make sure you da ont give in to them they will pout,cry,stomp,yell,and say they hate you and much more. but keep your head high and dont let them make you feel bad because you are just teaching them a lesson on how to behave.

1. Diane Inside profile image73
      Diane Insideposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I started a forum on this topic not too long ago, I agree disapline of any kind needs to be enforced, but these days it seems like it has gone by the wayside.

2. TPSicotte profile image75
      TPSicotteposted 13 years agoin reply to this

There are so many ways to discipline kids that don't involve spanking. Quick time outs in a high chair for little ones or in a chair for older ones, usually one minute per year of age works well. Logical and natural consequences also work well. The one person kids should feel safe and secure with should be there parents. Studies have shown that kids who are spank are way more likely to hit other kids. As parents we need to think about the behavior we model for kids. I know they can push our buttons sometimes but spanking.

I have been a parent and parent educator for 20 years. I have lots of posts on the topic because I know parents get frustrated.

2. swapna123 profile image61
    swapna123posted 13 years ago

I don't understand whether the topic is about discipline or spanking. Just because the kid is yours and you are stronger than the child doesn't give you right to hit the child.

There are lots of ways to discipline people and spanking should be the last option. Most of us raise our hands on the kids only because of our  frustration and inability to handle a shrieking kid and not exactly thinking that it will discipline them.

Here's what I do.. Whenever I feel irritated and feel like spanking the child, I close my eyes for few seconds or go to another room and cool down. After this I come back better equipped to handle the child's tantrums. But for those of you who do this and still feel that spanking would help the child,you can go to the child and tell them that they are going to be spanked if they don't behave and if they still don't listen, you can give them a whack on their back.

There is no evidence that a child who is never spanked would be less disciplined than a child who is spanked, or vice-versa.

1. Loving_Life profile image61
      Loving_Lifeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

With my children they usually get grounded or things taken away from them (like tv,bikes etc).
      And I find it works great! I have on occasion had to give my children a slap on the bottom, or a slap on the mouth for swearing or mouthing back, but have felt guilty afterwards.

Also soap in the mouth works great for swearing....

3. profile image0
    Anouserposted 13 years ago

I agree spanking and other cruel methods are bad. In many countries, spanking sends you to prison today, and for every year, more and more countries will probably adopts such laws.

Children who were never spanked tend not to spank their own children.

1. sofs profile image78
      sofsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Spanking or no spanking discipline is a must. Disciplining a child teaches a child to follow rules,  so many kids break rules for they have not been sufficiently disciplined. They have not learned the benefit of walking within guidelines and still enjoying life.  Teens often think that is fun only if you break the rules, because they have not learnt this lesson well.
      Parents find it easy to spank and discipline as it brings instant results at least initially.  Disciplining is time consuming , educating the child is foremost. it needs to be followed consistently, punishment for breaking rules immediate , and should  be enforced  by both parents. Vigilance on the part of the parent  is absolutely necessary.
      Spanking should be resorted to only as a lost resort. Withdrawal of things they love to have or do or even withdrawing attention from them works well enough if followed strictly.
      A well disciplined child is a pleasure to be with, well accepted and a focused individual later in life.

2. Jeff Berndt profile image73
      Jeff Berndtposted 13 years ago

Spanking /= discipline.
      Discipline /= spanking.

It's important to understand that people who decide not to spank their children have not decided not to discipline them.

In fact, a kid who makes decisions based on whether a given action is right or wrong, or what the logical consequences of the action are, is more disciplined than one who makes decisions based on whether he's going to get caught and spanked.

"I'd better not do that: it's the wrong thing to do." > "I'd better not do that: my dad'll kill me."

3. profile image0
      Home Girlposted 13 years ago

The more your child is busy in meaningful and interesting occupation, the less he will be in need of any "discipline". I know it by experience. it works.

1. Sassypoetic profile image61
        Sassypoeticposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Discipline is training that corrects the mind and heart. Children need it constantly. Parents should discipline in love, discipline does not mean speaking to them in threatening tones, scolding them, or even insulting them. Different children require different kinds od discipline.

The occasional punishment administered for disobedience may be lifesaving. A child should be told why  he is being punished. The rod and reproof are what give wisdom. Punishment has boundaries, The Bible in no way endorses angry whippings or severe beatings..In what whatever appropriate form, should never leave a child feeling rejected.
        Rather, the child should sense that discipline is given because the parent is "with him, on his side.. So be careful...

4. profile image0
      Anouserposted 13 years ago

Chair is better than corner time. Too long corner time may damage their legs.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)