jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

How old do you think your child should be when you give them a cell phone?

1. Zaiden Jace profile image68
    Zaiden Jaceposted 7 years ago

How old do you think your child should be when you give them a cell phone?

2. dashingscorpio profile image87
    dashingscorpioposted 7 years ago

It's not so much about the age of the child but more of how responsible the child is.
    Some kids have a way losing or leaving things everywhere they go.

I would say if a child is able to care for and clean up after a pet (on her/his own) then they could probably handle having a phone and following their parents guidelines.

3. profile image43
    momaimee3posted 7 years ago

My children are 11 1/2, 10 and 8 and they all have their own cell phones. My husband and I decided they needed their own cell phones because they were always at their friends houses or at some type of activity and we wanted to make sure they had a way to always get a hold of us. They are very good at taking care of thier phones and we go through their texts to make sure they are not doing anything we dont aprove of and my girls are not allowed to give thier numbers out to any boys with out our promission. I ck their accts on a regular bases to make sure they are not going over their mins. I would say it depends on the child and what they need it for. I wouldnt have gotten my children cell phones just because they wanted one because their friends had one. We felt they need them.

4. tobey100 profile image61
    tobey100posted 7 years ago

For me personally this is the easiest question I've tackled.  With five boys my answer to them and to this question has always been....when you're old enough to pay the bill.

5. WeNdYpOoPoO profile image59
    WeNdYpOoPoOposted 7 years ago

when you can pay for it I grew up with out one and I am still alive both parents worked also.

6. profile image57
    rieomposted 7 years ago

I have the need to reach the kids when I want to so I gave them cell phones in Middle School.  There had been no many school shootings (and one in the next town to us), that I decided I had the need to reach them in an emergency and they could reach me.  It was not intended as a "fun phone" but for me, an emergency phone and the piece of mind it gave me.

7. profile image0
    ellie.wposted 7 years ago

Any age when the kids could be in an emergency situation by themselves!  Cheap, functional cell phones are great for young kids--especially ones that don't have a call/text plan but are really just for emergencies.  I'd say kids aren't old enough for a regular plan with texting, music, etc. until they're old enough to use the phone responsibly and maturely...whenever (or IF ever) that is.

8. Rpenafiel profile image69
    Rpenafielposted 6 years ago

Age is not the main thing that should be considered when giving a child a cell phone. It’s his maturity in handling the device. If I see him mature enough to handle the responsibilities involve in having a cell phone and if the situation already requires it, I wouldn’t hesitate to give him one. Cell phone can be very helpful device for children as much as it can be very helpful for adults. Essentially, this device makes it easy for parents to contact their children whenever they want to and this also enhances their safety. Here is a hub I’ve written about the safety that a cell phone can give to children, http://hubpages.com/hub/Just5-as-Kids-H … ress-Away.