jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (10 posts)

How old do you think a child should be before being given a cell phone to use?

1. Diane Woodson profile image59
    Diane Woodsonposted 5 years ago

How old do you think a child should be before being given a cell phone to use?

I have my own ideas.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/6592905_f260.jpg

2. profile image0
    Gusserposted 5 years ago

18.................................................................................

3. Georgie Lowery profile image94
    Georgie Loweryposted 5 years ago

I agree with Gusser, 18, with the exception of limited use phones that allow the owner to only call, say, home or 911 and only certain numbers allowed to call them. I think those would be great for any kid that's old enough to know how to use a phone.

Diane Woodsonposted 5 years agoin reply to this

This is a great idea, emergency phones? That would maybe get rid of all of the texting and expensive things that parents pay for!

4. duffsmom profile image59
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

We had our kids take a cell phone when they went somewhere so that they could call home or wherever if they needed to.  But they did not carry one on them all the time.  I think they can have a cell phone full time when they can pay for it. Cell phones are expensive.

Great idea!

5. TheLifeExperiment profile image58
    TheLifeExperimentposted 5 years ago

I actually think cell phones should be given to kids at a very young age, maybe 6-8. But only simple cell phones, where there is only calling and maybe texting. Kids get lost and separated from their parents all the time, and having some kind of device to contact them would be great.

Wonderful idea!

6. thoughtabout profile image77
    thoughtaboutposted 5 years ago

I think phone should be given if child knows how to dial. Make sure to replace the phone with kindle or gray screen ereader when child start to learn reading otherwise child will do too many texting

7. hbentleymom profile image70
    hbentleymomposted 5 years ago

I think when they have a job and would like to help pay the bill they can have one. But if not or they are younger and going somewhere without parents then they can take mom or dads to have in case of emergency.

working