jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

At what age do you consider a child too old to be breast-fed?

1. L a d y f a c e profile image79
    L a d y f a c eposted 7 years ago

At what age do you consider a child too old to be breast-fed?

2. tmbridgeland profile image83
    tmbridgelandposted 7 years ago

Depends on you, the kid and what is customary in your culture. In the US, I would say one year, maybe a bit more or less.

Some societies allow 2 years or even more. No big deal.

3. kmurdy profile image66
    kmurdyposted 7 years ago

I really think this is a personal decision-and also one decided by your child.  Generally I would say 1 year, but going beyond a year doesn't hurt your child-as long as you are following other nutritional diets for them.  I don't think anyone can tell you what age to stop, but when it becomes more of a burden for you, then you'll know.

4. Amber4 profile image57
    Amber4posted 7 years ago

Probably a year old and the switch to real milk should be made...unless the baby was a premie. I've always said that once the baby got teeth I'd never offer the breast but I'd pump. I wasn't able to breastfeed my daughter due to medical complications after birth. But hopefully I will for baby #2!

5. Christina A profile image59
    Christina Aposted 7 years ago

I think you need to be guided by what works for you and your child.  In most non-western cultures, breastfeeding extends into the second year and beyond.  Your milk actually changes to adapt to the needs of the toddler.   Regular food and drinks should provide the main nutrition beyond one year old.  The emotional benefits of extended nursing for the child are significant.  Many people who nurse beyond one year restrict it somewhat - eg before bed and first thing in the morning.  Don't feel pressured either way.  Some babies self wean early, others are not so keen to stop.

6. stclairjack profile image81
    stclairjackposted 7 years ago

ive read realy wonderful and understanding questions here, and i must say around a year old seems to be the norm in my social circle,... you'll know when its time to switch and wether sudenly or slowly,... but i can say from personaly whitnessing a child say to his mom "ok mom, other side" then run off to play with the other 4 yr olds,... she had waited far FAR too long.