jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Is wrapping a baby a SIDS risk?

1. stricktlydating profile image83
    stricktlydatingposted 7 years ago

Is wrapping a baby a SIDS risk?

2. izettl profile image95
    izettlposted 7 years ago

Doctors suggest wrapping a baby when they are newborn up until a few months because it makes them feel secure. Learn how to properly wrap though.
    The miracle blanket is the best product for parents who want to rest assured that the blanket won't get caught around the baby's mouth. It wraps the arms on the inside before the final wrap of the baby itself. I used it with my daughter for up to 6months old.

3. ggenda profile image58
    ggendaposted 7 years ago

I agree with izzetl - wrapping your newborn can be a great (and safe) way to help them sleep securely. You can also try a "Swaddle Me" blanket, which is another great swaddling wrap. Just make sure to use these properly, since loose blankets in a baby's crib can pose a risk to your sleeping newborn.

4. profile image43
    sberlangaposted 6 years ago

Wrapping a baby is not a SIDS risk if done correctly.  If you swaddle with a traditional swaddling blanket and it's done incorrectly this could increase your SIDS risk.  I used the Halo Swaddle Sleep Sack with my infant.  It's held secure with velcro so I didn't have to worry about it coming loose and covering his face.  When my baby was starting to think about rolling over, I stopped using the swaddle portion of the blanket.  Now he wears just the sack to help keep him warm as loose blankets in the crib increase SIDS.

working