jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

What is the best way to communicate with hot tempered parents?

1. Lori Allison profile image58
    Lori Allisonposted 7 years ago

What is the best way to communicate with hot tempered parents?

Authoritarian parents who do not agree with any opinion than their own and who get hot tempered and defensive when you don't agree with what they are saying. How can you communicate effectively without an argument?

2. Mandeeadair profile image82
    Mandeeadairposted 7 years ago

I have family members that can be this way.  The easiest way for me to avoid the argument is to change the subject.  There have been times I've actually had to leave in order to avoid an argument.  I don't even bring up subjects I know we don't agree on.  I know this isn't always possible and there are times when you do need to stand up for yourself, but sometimes its the only way to have a pleasant encounter with argumentative people.  Good luck and Happy New Year!

3. simeonvisser profile image84
    simeonvisserposted 7 years ago

Stay calm yourself and try to win them slowly to your way of thinking. Don't start out by saying no but first acknowledge the points that you both agree on. Then explain why you think differently on certain other points and why. Take slow steps, be reasonable and never make the other person feel stupid for having a different view.

4. Marie McKeown profile image95
    Marie McKeownposted 7 years ago

Definitely stay calm, show that you recognize their point of view but that you have your own. Emphasize that you really value your relationship with them - sometimes people feel threatened when you disagree with them because they think you are trying to create separation between you and them. So reassure them that you love them, you just have different ideas..

Good luck!