jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Why do kids choose not to wear coats outside in the winter?

1. tgopfrich profile image80
    tgopfrichposted 7 years ago

Why do kids choose not to wear coats outside in the winter?

2. create a page profile image61
    create a pageposted 7 years ago

Sometimes they are following the examples set by adults.  Most times they cannot be bothered by the responsibility of ensuring that they are covered by one more garment. It is so much easier to not wear it.

3. livmdaniels profile image58
    livmdanielsposted 7 years ago

I'm not sure. I have a 2 year old boy that won't go anywhere without a coat and hat on. When he knows we're going outside, he asks for them. He used to love playing with my father-in-law dog, throwing rocks for her to fetch. Well, he loves playing outside, period. He knows that without the proper clothes on, he will have to stay in.
    Maybe when they get older they realize that they can't move very well depending on how heavy their coat is and that's what make them opt against it. I know I would, lol
    Hope that helps, wink

4. profile image50
    gerneary85posted 7 years ago

they feel more free to move around  and kids will be kids you tell them to do someting you can be dame sure they will do the opposit.

5. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 7 years ago

Excellent question.  Many years ago we lived in North Dakota for a short time.  The weather was routinely below zero and I had one daughter that I had to remind to wear a coat.  Explaining the seriousness of below zero weather did not seem to sink in.

She's 26 now and still rarely wears a coat.

6. JaimeDawn76 profile image80
    JaimeDawn76posted 7 years ago

Because staying warm is not an important detail to them; they often live in the moment ablivious to the consequence of not wearing a coat in the winter (a cold)!

7. 6hotfingers3 profile image60
    6hotfingers3posted 7 years ago

They do it to annoy adults. If it is hot outside, they will wear a coat or sweater on the hottest day. That is their way of taking charge of their lives and getting pleasure out of seeing adults cringe at the sight of their in appropriate attire. The crazy thing about this is, they have all they need in their room growing too small as we speak. Growing too small from none use. Good question.

working