jump to last post 1-12 of 12 discussions (12 posts)

Do you let your children make messes?

1. ThePracticalMommy profile image96
    ThePracticalMommyposted 6 years ago

Do you let your children make messes?

The older my son gets, the more I am willing to let him make messes. He is able to be creative and also learn how to clean up. How do you feel about messes?

2. jdavis88 profile image94
    jdavis88posted 6 years ago

YES... but I also help them learn to clean up after themselves BEFORE they move on to the next mess.

3. Sinea Pies profile image77
    Sinea Piesposted 6 years ago

Yes, that's part of being a kid.  But I do expect them to help pick them up.

4. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

My kids are grown, but absolutely!  We had a ball making messes and I was right there in the middle of it.  Now I do it with my granddaughters because oddly enough, their mother--who loved making messes as a kid is not that fond of them now!! LOL

5. ddsurfsca profile image75
    ddsurfscaposted 6 years ago

Sometimes a good mess keeps kids happy for a much longer time than anything else.  Clean up afterwards is a must though.

6. CJ Andrews profile image90
    CJ Andrewsposted 6 years ago

Yeah, I like them make messes.  They have to clean it up though.  I don't think there is a single person in the world that doesn't make a mess, it is simply how fast or efficient one cleans up after themselves.

7. mommyneal6 profile image78
    mommyneal6posted 6 years ago

Of course! It's part of being a kid, but they have to learn how to help clean it up when they are done.

8. nasus loops profile image69
    nasus loopsposted 6 years ago

I hate mess, but I let my son make it as it enables him to play freely using his imagination (which many children seem to lack these days).  I can also encourage him to tidy up at the end of the day just so that he learns the importance of looking after his possessions.

9. RosalieTuomey profile image58
    RosalieTuomeyposted 6 years ago

I always thought that children learned to be more self-sufficient if you let them feed themselves fairly early on.  Of course, I have seen my share of bowls emptied over their heads!

Yes!    Let them make messes!   (just let it be outside or in a place that is easy to clean up)

10. loneparentgiggles profile image59
    loneparentgigglesposted 6 years ago

My son is seventeen months old, I give him paint and let him do painting at the kitchen table where it can be wiped up. I accept that he's a child and will make mess, I just clean up as he goes around creating the mess.

11. ThussaysNanaMarie profile image75
    ThussaysNanaMarieposted 6 years ago

Absolutely!! Then they clean up after themselves

12. gmwilliams profile image86
    gmwilliamsposted 5 years ago

An integral part of a child's growth and development is exploration. With such exploration, there are bound to be mistakes, trials, & failures. Without such, children don't grow & become self-assured. read more