jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

What is an acceptable punishment for an 8 year old who is disrespectful to his g

1. Keeley Shea profile image78
    Keeley Sheaposted 6 years ago

What is an acceptable punishment for an 8 year old who is disrespectful to his grandparents?

What do you feel is an acceptable punishment or consequence for an 8 year old who is disrespectful to his grandparents?

2. profile image0
    klevifushaposted 6 years ago

I'm not an expert on the subject, but I remember when I was younger, every time I would be disrespectful to my grandparents, or any adult for that matter, my entertainment would be cut off. That meaning I wouldn't be able to watch TV or play video games or go outside and play with my friends. I have to say, it worked pretty good. Just don't be aggressive with your child. Let them know exactly why their toys or other "fun times" are being taken away. Try to make the child understand what he or she did wrong.

3. profile image0
    Giselle Maineposted 6 years ago

I'm not an expert either as my kids are not that old yet.  I would suggest making him write a letter of apology to them (he will HATE writing, especially a letter of apology) and it addresses the actual situation and makes him understand what he did wrong.  Also it helps the grandparents too.  Even if they live nearby he could go say a brief sorry in person and then hand them the letter.

4. EDU 101 profile image59
    EDU 101posted 6 years ago

I'm sure I am too late to suggest consequences for you but to help prevent this from becoming a regular occurrence here is a suggestion: Before you see them again I would suggest doing a little role playing. Act like you are his grandparents and act out what he is NOT going to do/say (fun for him, gets him hooked into the "game") followed by what he SHOULD do and say. Be clear that you ONLY want him to do the "good" things and to NEVER do the "bad" things.

working