jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

What is your family's plan for what to do in the event of a tornado?

1. prektjr.dc profile image86
    prektjr.dcposted 6 years ago

What is your family's plan for what to do in the event of a tornado?

Living near Joplin, MO has taught me to prepare better and I am curious as to what others have for a plan for the event of a tornado hitting their home.

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/5206782_f260.jpg

2. jenwat0405 profile image60
    jenwat0405posted 6 years ago

We do not really have a plan.  We will all go into the closet in my bedroom and brace ourselves.  We live in Texas (in tornado alley) but there are not any basements here.  If I had a basement or storm shelter I would gladly go there.
    Since we don't, we will just pray that if a tornado comes that it will not be nearly as bad as the other states and cities were affected.
    I know it isn't a very good plan, but its all I have.

3. larryprice5372 profile image69
    larryprice5372posted 6 years ago

My daughter lives in Joplin, Missouri.  She works a St. Johns Medical Center.  By the grace of God, her nad all of the grand kids were unhurt and they suffered no property damage.  In the event of a tornado, there is not much you can do; they happen very quickly.  However, being ready is possible by designating a low level area to flee into; which has strog overhead and wall supports.  Being concious and on the lookout for funnel clouds during great storms can give early warning to seek the pre-designated shelter.

Having a sheltered area to run to is the only safety you can have for you and your family.

4. jacqui2011 profile image83
    jacqui2011posted 6 years ago

Fortunately in the UK we dont have tornados. We did have an earthquake about 4 years ago that I can recall. It shook all the cabinets and we had a power cut. Its nothing like the devastation that is caused by the tornados that seem to frequent certain states.

5. prektjr.dc profile image86
    prektjr.dcposted 6 years ago

Jenwat0405,
       We have a basement, but the door is on the west side and the front and back doors are on the north and south perspectively.  We have decided that it is actually more dangerous to go outdoors to get to the basement!  We experienced a small tornado in this house back in '97 or '98 and there was debris flying everywhere outside.   We were safer indoors.  We do have better warning systems now, so maybe we would try it now, but on May 22nd we were actually outdoors watching the storm build overhead.  The important thing is you have a plan and you all know what to do....God will have to do the rest.  I believe only the hand of God protected people from this monster storm.  Good luck and God bless!  Thanks for sharing!

working