jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Why is it so hard for some babies to fall asleep???

1. Zynel profile image61
    Zynelposted 6 years ago

Why is it so hard for some babies to fall asleep???

2. Kurant82 profile image65
    Kurant82posted 6 years ago

Because they thrive off of your misery. That whole thing about being little bundles of joy is a decietfull lie. More like cute little night terrors.

3. nikki_m profile image83
    nikki_mposted 6 years ago

There could be many reasons for it. I know when I was a baby, my mom had a lot of trouble getting me to sleep because I had stomach problems. My dad would lay me on his stomach and rub my back to help it (usually just had to burp!).

4. Rob Winters profile image85
    Rob Wintersposted 6 years ago

There can be a number of different reasons but the most common reason is probably that they haven't developed the self soothing skills to fall asleep on their own. When babies are born their default setting is to feed every 2-3 hours and to sleep for much of the time in between. As a result of this they frequently fall asleep whilst being held and/or fed and they can often readily become dependent on these same conditions in order to fall asleep. Then when they're put down to sleep before having fallen asleep already (whilst being fed or held) they find it difficult to do so and start to cry whereupon they are often either held or fed again until they drift off and are then put down to sleep thus a pattern that can prove difficult (both for child & parents) to break is established and the baby fails to develop their own self soothing skills to be able to fall asleep on their own.

This is quite a common scenario for many babies and there are very effective & simple (but not necessarily easy) strategies to remedy this although most resolve this without help eventually. Maybe i'll write a hub on sleeping strategies for babies and young children that have yet to develop these skills.