jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

What do you do when you can't fall asleep at nights and what strategies help?

1. Joan King profile image72
    Joan Kingposted 6 years ago

What do you do when you can't fall asleep at nights and what strategies help?

When you awake in the middle of the night and can't seemto fall asleep, what are some, if any of the things you would do to to help you fall asleep.

2. Bretsuki profile image78
    Bretsukiposted 6 years ago

This is a common problem for me. I an blind so my body clock now wanders off and I can find myself wide awake in the early hours of the morning.

I generally don't fight it. If after several minutes laying awake, I get up and read or work.

I am studying for a MA History at the moment so there is a great deal of reading. I just plug in my earphones to my scanner and read.  This system works for me. I can get my work done, I am doing ok on my school work and I am using time rather than fretting, tossing and turning trying to sleep.

3. brakel2 profile image80
    brakel2posted 6 years ago

I eat or drink a dairy product but only a little. I watch T V  for a while, walk around a little. I alternately turn on a relaxing tape on IPhone. Then I make sure, there is no light coming in bedroom. The temp must be cool enough and humidity adequate all the time. We have a dehumidifier for summer.

4. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

I have certain story lines that I work on in my head when I can't sleep.  I start the story and work out certain details, sometimes down to what the main character is wearing. 

Or I listen to an audio book on my iPad and usually that does the trick.

5. Inspired to write profile image77
    Inspired to writeposted 6 years ago

Hi Joan King looks like this is a major problem for so many folk.

What can babies teach us about falling asleep? Which we have forgotten all about in our maturer years, or should I say, so long as our body is rested, relaxed, but our minds are so clouded with all that is going on inside our personal lives no wonder we can't (mentally) relax & switch our thoughts off to allow sleep to overcome us!

Currently I am working on a new book concerning this issue & ways to resolve such situations that all problem sleepers could learn from.

Good luck & don't stress to much about your situation, hope you find some good answers here.

Regards Dale

6. danieliuhasz profile image61
    danieliuhaszposted 6 years ago

I count or multiply numbers. It's a thing which works best because it bores me to sleep..

Try to find something repetitive you can do...

7. ahmed.b profile image78
    ahmed.bposted 6 years ago

I do not know if you believe in religion or not. But remembering God and utilise the time for offering prayer is the thing I do. And it gives a calm and peaceful sleep to me atleast.