jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

How old should one be to babysit alone?

1. breathe2travel profile image79
    breathe2travelposted 6 years ago

How old should one be to babysit alone?

For the sake of argument, let's assume all persons in question are mature -- what is the youngest age you think appropriate for that person to be given the responsibility to watch children for two hours? 

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/3667403_f260.jpg

2. profile image0
    Indigitalposted 6 years ago

I first started babysitting at the age of 16, but it depends if it's family or friends. I only babysit family relatives - I don't really like babysitting friends kids.

3. Beingbbw profile image57
    Beingbbwposted 6 years ago

It depends but 16 is a reasonable age to babysit a couple of kids for a few hours. A sensible 16 year old could do 2-3 hours if the children are known to him/her

4. Cruel Irony profile image59
    Cruel Ironyposted 6 years ago

I think it depends on the maturity of the child doing the babysitting. You may want to check and see if your state has any age requirements for it to be considered legal and not endangerment. Some states have really strict laws regarding this and some even require children to be supervised by an adult at all times. You can find out easily by call the non emergency line of the police station local to you or contacting your county Jobs and Family services department.

working