jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

How is the culture of the large family differ from that of the small family?

1. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 6 years ago

How is the culture of the large family differ from that of the small family?

2. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image98
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 6 years ago

I would say that with a large family the relationships between child and parents are lessened as the relationship between siblings is increased.

3. Laura in Denver profile image80
    Laura in Denverposted 6 years ago

Very much the older of the children take on more responsibility for the younger children.

4. collegatariat profile image81
    collegatariatposted 6 years ago
  5. slaffery profile image58
    slafferyposted 6 years ago

When I think of culture within a family, I think of the beliefs, traditions, practices and values of each individual family.  It's how they do things.  It would be hard to say how a large family does something versus a small family because the size of the family would not be the only thing that defines their culture.  That's a good but tough question to answer

6. MazioCreate profile image73
    MazioCreateposted 6 years ago

Being one of twelve children I can honestly say that the culture, as such, doesn't differ that greatly.  The difference lies in expectations and behaviours.  Responsilities are different, particularly as an older member and there is very little alone space or time.  On the other hand that is a great point, particularly when you want to play a game of cricket or touch football.  We never had a lot of toys but what we did have we shared and created some great games with our limited resources.  One major difference I have noticed is being able to listen to a number of conversations at once and know exactly what's going on.

We were raised to respect each other and those around us.  At the same time we were taught to ask questions and not accept an argument just because it was given by a person in authority.  You can imagine the discussions that went on around our dinner tables.  To this day I would never change my family circumstanes, because this made me who I am today.

7. Dave Mathews profile image60
    Dave Mathewsposted 6 years ago

Regardless of the size of the family, "Culture"  is culture size makes no difference.

working