jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

When did you start "tummy time" with your infant?

1. Skylar Spring profile image76
    Skylar Springposted 6 years ago

When did you start "tummy time" with your infant?

I'm a first time mother and have read many conflicting things on the topic. I ask my sister about it as she only had her daughter a year ago and she said she started after the umbilical cord fell off. I was wondering what other mothers have to say on the subject?

2. freecampingaussie profile image60
    freecampingaussieposted 6 years ago

I have had 3 girls , youngest is 19  now ! I think it was when they could support their head if you are talking about them laying on their tummy on the floor .

3. Time Spiral profile image91
    Time Spiralposted 6 years ago

Mine is 3 weeks and a few days. We've been doing tummy time for about a week now. It helps them develop the muscles in their neck.

Sometimes she really likes it, and will stay there for a little while. Other times she hates it, and we go to the exercise ball (which is AMAZING. If you don't have one, get one immediately).

We also combine "air time" with tummy time.

4. sroberts9 profile image79
    sroberts9posted 6 years ago

Oh, I am a Mom of two daughters - both now 17 and 14 and I started laying them on their tummies from day one.  To me all the books say on the back is the best but, for me I did not agree if my baby was chocking from milk or burp while sleeping that would make them swallow the vomit or liquid back and God forbid if it went in their noise they could sufficate.  So the tummy was my choice - so if they did burp or vomit for some reason they could at least lift their head and cry and whatever (if anything) would not choke them.

5. New 2011 Mom profile image59
    New 2011 Momposted 6 years ago

I started doing that with my daughter after her cord fell off as well. You can read all about it in my hub

http://new2011mom.hubpages.com/hub/Tumm … y-daughter

It talks about me doing that with my daughter and when I stopped putting her on her tummy when I started working. This may be a big help for you.

working