jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

What can you do if your child refuses to eat food?

1. Ruchi Urvashi profile image77
    Ruchi Urvashiposted 6 years ago

What can you do if your child refuses to eat food?

2. tillsontitan profile image87
    tillsontitanposted 6 years ago

Let him be.  A wise pediatrician once told me, "When he's hungry, he'll eat."  Of course if he's not eating at all it's time to have him checked to make sure there are no physical reasons or illness.  If not, find something good for him that he likes to eat and let him eat it. My oldest ate peanut butter and fluff sandwiches every day for almost two years!

3. Moms-Secret profile image84
    Moms-Secretposted 6 years ago

The hardest thing for some mothers is to feel your child is hungry.  I agree with the first answer.  To help your child along, maybe have healthy food options readily available for snacking.  Like grapes and cheese by the tv.  Apples with peanut butter are a great source of protein.  Sprinkle some powdered milk on anything they are eating.  It is tasteless and adds calcium.
    If your child likes a citrus drink like pineapple juice or tang you can sneak in something like a product called greens without them even noticing.  I buy mine at https://betterlifebodywraps.myitworks.c … oduct/303. 
    Keep looking for ways to sneak in good nutrition without the traditional dinner plate.

Good luck

4. Loi-Renee profile image84
    Loi-Reneeposted 6 years ago

When my nephews refuse to eat it usually helps to get them involved in the preparation of the food. They can help with washing the vegetables, mixing, and passing plates when the food is being served. They might even enjoy it more if you let them do taste tests and ask for their opinions. Let everyone know he helped to prepare the food and compliment him before everyone. They will eat more if they feel proud of what they did. Just be sure to keep a close eye on them in the kitchen.
    I also used to have New Food Fridays where we would prepare something we've never had before. They always looked forward to that one.
    If all else fails or if he refuses to eat for a long period, a pediatrician should see him right away to find out if it is something serious.

5. lburmaster profile image84
    lburmasterposted 6 years ago

Let them go through with it. He will break at some point and then he will see his faults.

6. Faceless39 profile image93
    Faceless39posted 6 years ago

Make sure they're not a vegetarian being forced to eat meat.  Ask them to compose their own dishes and see if that helps.  If all else fails, let them not eat for a while.  They'll get really hungry soon enough.

7. MINIMA profile image60
    MINIMAposted 6 years ago

Well if the child is refusing to eat  food but is frisky and active then let it be . Once he has used the energy he will surely look for something. Have him choose his favourite instead of forcing him to eat something he doesn't like.Kids love to munch on things -- involve him in preparation lik passing the egg , potatoes , carrots, butter or any other necessary things to get a dish ready. Allow him to peep through the oven glass or when using the stove let him see how the food is getting ready. Use imaginary ideas. My son when small refused to eat , I will get the food ready - telling him the cement and sand are mixed and is about to go into the mixture ( mouth) to make it more fine ( chewing) and then into the pipe to stop leakage ( swallowing the chewed food). He will move around chewing and swallow the food and I continue till he is full or when he doesn't want any more. At least I am satisfied that he had eaten something. Feeding the child yourself and telling stories related to imaginary things or what the child is not only interesting but also a success. Try it and you will indeed benefit. Now I look forward to do the same for my grandchildren.

8. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

Raising a child has too many battles built in.  Let them alone, their bodies will get the nutrients they need.  Just be sure and offer good, healthy foods but never force a child to eat.  That is one of the causes of adult obesity--issues with food.