jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Are you overprotective of your children?

1. rajan jolly profile image88
    rajan jollyposted 6 years ago

Are you overprotective of your children?

If so, how do you give them breathing space?

2. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

My kids are grown and married, but yes, I think I tended to be overprotective at times. I tried very hard to keep it to myself but I'm sure I wasn't always successful.  Our kids did have a lot of freedom as long as they were honest and we knew where they were.  But I worried like crazy.

How to give them breathing space?  I'm not sure really.  I think if they are involved in sports then they have time away from the "eyes" of parents, they get to travel with the school and enjoy that independence.  Our girls also wanted to take Tae Kwon Do classes and they really enjoyed that--but it was their choice to take them.  I also tried not to grill them about things and if they wanted to talk, I just let them talk.

Truthfully, when given a choice, both girls wanted to spend time at home.  They really enjoyed having friends over for movies etc.  So I guess they found their own breathing space.

3. engelfantasydream profile image60
    engelfantasydreamposted 6 years ago

your time before is different from our time..and from time of the children of this generation now lolss..i don't have children yet hahaha..so i can't say yet..but kids now likes more freedom , in our time just the look of our parents and we know we need to behave hahaha..do i am kids of the 90s still,our upbringing then  is much different  than now..based on my nieces and nephews cos i take good care of them too..children now need more freedom and just fun fun fun..depends on what kind of children are they i mean their personality..if being strick works for them ..then so apply it..if not then be balance..don;t nag lolsss..play with them..and as what i've learn from taking good care of my nieces and nephews..practice what you preach..for instance if they watch like something like a bit kiss on the t.v accidentally,, close their eyes and close your eyes too hahaha..like that is it funny..and explain why..and they will follow it..and if ever again a kiss scene appear on the screen they will close their eyes or turn their back even without saying it and they will even close your eyes too hahhaha...be a fun father to them cos being a kid means being just carefree and being happy all the time..hahaha

4. lorenmurcia profile image87
    lorenmurciaposted 6 years ago

Since I have only one child, I tend to go overboard in protecting him. Many times, I have to restrain myself to check on him every 15 minutes; even if he is just talking with his friends near our house! When he asks for permission to go with his friends, I would ask him what time will he come back. If he does not come at the agreed time, I would go looking for him. My husband reminds me always not to overdo it and tells me to relax since our son is already 15 years old.

I don't know if I'm giving him breathing space but I make sure that if he is at home from school, he can do whatever he wants after studying his lessons. He usually just sits in front of his computer and chat with his friends and classmates aside from playing virtual games.