In your opinion who is a better friend to a teenage boy, his dad or his mum?

1. rahul0324 profile image85
    rahul0324posted 6 years ago

In your opinion who is a better friend to a teenage boy, his dad or his mum?

2. denise.w.anderson profile image93
    denise.w.andersonposted 6 years ago

In my opinion, friendship is not the issue. Having been a parent of seven teenagers, only one of which was a boy, I believe that being a friend is not what a parent should be at that point in a teenagers life. Yes, the boy needs love and acceptance, and he should get that from both parents. Yes, the boy needs people to be with that he can enjoy, and family is a big part of that. Yes, the boy needs companionship, but he usually does not look to his parents for it. Parents guide your footsteps and see that you make wise decisions. When you do stupid things, your parents correct you. Friends are people you hang out to have a good time. You laugh, experiment, and explore the world. If either parent is a friend to the boy, who will correct and guide him? Who will set an example for him to look up to and eventually become? Once he is an adult with a family of his own, then you become his friend.

3. duffsmom profile image59
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

It isn't the parent's job to be a friend.  Friendship gives the impression of equal footing.  They have friends but only two parents.  A parent can be supportive, but they have to have that line that kid's shouldn't cross.  They have to know that while we love them, support them, they need to respect us.  My kids knew that no matter what, I would always listen to them and they could tell me anything - often did--YIKES.

I just don't think friendship is the way to go while raising them.  We need to be parents not friends.

working