jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Do we expect too much of our kids?

1. My Digest profile image66
    My Digestposted 6 years ago

Do we expect too much of our kids?

2. LoriSoard profile image74
    LoriSoardposted 6 years ago

Probably, but we also need to not allow them to not live up to what they're capable of. It's a difficult balance. I think it is important that children know we love them no matter what. We had a situation where our daughter broke some rules a couple of weeks ago. She told me that she didn't know how I could even love her now. I made sure she knew that there isn't anything in this world she could ever do that would make her lose my love. However, that my trust was a different thing and that once lost it would have to be re-earned. Also, I told her I might be disappointed in her choices, but I still loved her.

If raising children was easier, we wouldn't ever get gray hair. Do the best you can, let your child know you love them and everything will work out in the end.

3. taheruddin profile image43
    taheruddinposted 6 years ago

yes, we do and that is wrong. We should let them have a learning friendly environment to grow up first.

4. lburmaster profile image82
    lburmasterposted 6 years ago

Depends. What do you expect of them? I expect my son to become anything he wants to be. A mechanic, a teacher, a social worker, a police officer, a coder, anything. He can marry whoever he wants. A goth chick, a religious nut, a strong willed mechanic, an emotional social worker, an introvert, an extrovert, an eccentric, someone with mental disterbances, etc.
    I just would like for him to go to college and graduate high school. He doesn't even have to graduate from college. Just try it out for a year.

5. tamarawilhite profile image92
    tamarawilhiteposted 6 years ago

Part of the problem is demanding that the child be well rounded, with an art and a sport and academics and spirituality and a social life. Then parents cart children from lesson to game to activity, without enough time to play freely or even sleep.
    We should require full attention on academics. It is stupid to have a star athlete and stage performer failing in reading and math, true skills they need to function in the adult world. After that, extracurricular activities need to be that - extras. Extra activities should be limited to a few that don't interfere with family meals, family religious gatherings (if any), getting enough sleep, study time and some free play.
    If parents stopped booking activities non-stop and then demanding excellence in all of them, both parents and children would see a reduction in stress and better outcomes in what they choose to continue doing.

6. profile image0
    oldandwiseposted 6 years ago

Yes, most parents do. If the child fails, many get upset with the child. Only failure in life is not trying. Whether you win or lose, your child should be proud they did their best.