jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

What are the pros and cons of a stay at home mom teaching and caring for a speci

1. Cardisa profile image91
    Cardisaposted 6 years ago

What are the pros and cons of a stay at home mom teaching and caring for a special needs child?

2. HattieMattieMae profile image60
    HattieMattieMaeposted 6 years ago

Depends on what you mean by special needs. It is a very difficult road for foster homes that taken on emotionally impaired and mentally impaired in other wasy than if you had developmentally disabled, or high functioning kids like with ADHD, or Aspergers. Not to mention the ones that have been brutally emotionally, physically, and sexually abused. This is a wide range of people you're talking about here with many difficulties that are not similar at all, nor easy to handle in many aspects. The pros are probably that when you can see positive behavior and love showing through. Of course there will be good moments, but for many of these harder ones, more drama, chaos, and crisis than others. Just one baby step maybe a great miracle for many. Perhaps they are small steps, but great rewards in improvement.

3. cobrien profile image79
    cobrienposted 6 years ago

As the parent of a special needs child, I can tell you that Mom is the best caregiver (usually) and a child's very first teacher. I say "Go for it!".

4. ananceleste profile image72
    anancelesteposted 6 years ago

When I first read your question I was a little confused. I had to stay home for my children sake. As the primary caregiver, I feel more at ease that they are with me instead than with someone that may or may not care for them in school.It's rewarding and they teach you more than you might think.

If this is not your child, and you are refering to be  a child care facilitator, its a little more complicated. In any case, information and preparation is key. I have been working with special needs children for over ten years, it can be emotionally taxing. ( It hurts to see them struggle) But love is an ingredient that must be in the mixture. To tell you the truth, its hard to not get involved emotionally. At least for me. Good luck !

working