jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

What are the pros and cons of being an only child?

1. silverstararrow profile image82
    silverstararrowposted 5 years ago

What are the pros and cons of being an only child?

2. pagesvoice profile image84
    pagesvoiceposted 5 years ago

As an only child I can tell you first hand there are many more cons than pros in not having other siblings. When you get off the school bus you enter an empty house and most likely aren't allowed any friends in when alone. You can't share bonding moments with a member of your blood peer group. When your parents die there aren't brothers or sisters to help shoulder your grief. On trips or vacations there is no one else to joke around with. One year I was given two road racing sets as presents. I remember asking my mother and father, "Who am I going to race against?"

The one positive to being an only child is the adaptability to being alone. Some people never learn how to be by themselves, but an only child sure does.

1. msorensson profile image71
      msorenssonposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Ohh..What a profound answer..

3. ishwaryaa22 profile image91
    ishwaryaa22posted 5 years ago

This hub discusses about the reasons, pros and cons, myths versus reality, examples of famous single children and helpful suggestions for the single child. read more

4. karthikkash profile image89
    karthikkashposted 5 years ago

I am a single child. When I was a kid, I was a bit selfish. I didn't want my parents to divide their attention and love between my sibling and me. Hence, I was always against a sibling. So, as a single child. I did all the love and attention and every resource my parents could afford to give me. Now that is a pro. Another good thing is that I don't have to fight with my siblings, because there is none.

But again, the con is that since there is no sibling, I don't know who I should fight with.. Or whom to show love to, apart from my parents. Most of the times when I feel lonely, I would love to share it with someone of my age group in the house. But I have none. So, that could be a problem of being a single child.

5. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 5 years ago

There are POSITIVES in being an only child. He/she has total individualized time& attention from his/her parents.He/she never have to face competion nor intrusions from siblings.He/she is FREE to BE! read more

working