jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)

Would you consider being a foster parent of an older child who is without a fami

1. Sunshine625 profile image92
    Sunshine625posted 6 years ago

Would you consider being a foster parent of an older child who is without a family? Have you done so?

2. Anne Pettit profile image71
    Anne Pettitposted 6 years ago

Absolutely, I have fostered multiple teens, and there are distinct advantages:

They can talk and take care of themselves.  There are some disadvantages, but I suspect you already know of them because you had to think about whether or not you want to foster older teens.  As an experienced foster parent, it is much nicer helping an emerging adult get out on their own than having a young child that you love being carried from your home in tears.

3. EyesStraightAhead profile image83
    EyesStraightAheadposted 6 years ago

Yes! I have actually been a foster parent for a teen who had a family but did not get along with them well. It was the most rewarding experience ever to be able to influence her life. She has a really strong influence on my life as well in helping me understand some things I would do differently if I were to become a parent again - and surprise..a few years after she aged out of the system and left us, I became pregnant with my now four year old! The older children are sometimes the ones who need the love and feeling of family more because they have started to give up hope and don't believe they are lovable anymore.

4. fpherj48 profile image76
    fpherj48posted 6 years ago

At a much younger age, I certainly would have considered foster parenting, but surely not at this point.  The closest I came to this was being a "Big Sister" Volunteer in 1985 for 3 years.  That was a truly enriching experience for myself and the girls whom I mentored.

5. FosterDreams profile image58
    FosterDreamsposted 6 years ago

Hi!  Yes, I have fostered three teenage girls, two with small babies.  Two of the foster daughters were without a family, but they were wanting to be independent as soon as they could.  It went well in all cases.  When I started in foster care, I had requested troubled teenage girls, as I thought that may be where I could make the biggest difference, as they were very impressinable and their future depended upon the decisions they were makig while in my care.  I always encourage education as the key to their future successes.  Thanks!  And you?

6. Sunshine625 profile image92
    Sunshine625posted 6 years ago

Throughout my life if there was a child who needed me I was there for them. Since I was 9 years old I helped care for many nieces and nephews and now my grandchildren and great nephews and nieces...wow I sound really old, but I'm not...I was a young mom.
    I have friends who have adopted children and their families are blessings. I've never adopted or fostered a child, but if need be I would in a heartbeat.

7. GDRshop profile image66
    GDRshopposted 6 years ago

yes, why not? if i have the capability to do so then definitely

8. Agnes Penn profile image82
    Agnes Pennposted 6 years ago

I have not done so.  The only way I would consider being a foster parent, especially to an older child, is by taking siblings.  I don't believe in breaking up what is left of a family.

9. billybuc profile image87
    billybucposted 6 years ago

If I am to be totally honest then I would say at sixty-three years of age no, I wouldn't.  However, when I was younger I certainly would have and in fact did, and my fiance, who is ten years younger than I am, is doing it right now. My only problem is that I feel I am too old to handle that responsibility now.