jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

No form of discipline is working on my toddler, any advice?

1. Mother of Zeno profile image60
    Mother of Zenoposted 6 years ago

No form of discipline is working on my toddler, any advice?

I have tried a firm "no", removing him from the situation, distraction, slap on the hand, time out, spanking (as a last resort), taking away toys or desired objects, dinner shower bed without playtime. For most of these he just gets sassy and keeps doing it.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/6178693_f260.jpg

2. shea duane profile image60
    shea duaneposted 6 years ago

Not an expert, but maybe he has an impulse control problem... I've been in education for almost 30 years, and I've met many kids who have a hard time listening and behaving. The key, in my opinion, is never make 'threats' you won't keep. I have a friend who always says, 'If you do that again, no ice cream.' The kid does it again and she gives in and get the kid the ice cream... the worst behavior I've ever seen. I say, 'Don't do that' without a threat and the kid seems to listen. Also, with my son, if I say,,,'Do that again, and no computer,' I stick to it no matter how hard it is. If you don't the kids don't respect you. It's hard. Also, kids are kids and there are some things they can't resist... something shinny in the grass, mom's lipstick, costume jewelry... there are some things I think kids really can't resist! I'm not an expert... but I think kids are usually good-hearted but must behave like kids.

3. profile image46
    Snapdragon4posted 6 years ago

How old is your son? How consistent are you? Do you follow through when you make a rule?

4. Anne Pettit profile image73
    Anne Pettitposted 6 years ago

Your son might just be behaving normally for a young toddler. Toddlers learn and develop so quickly, he may be easier next week; not because of discipline, because he is growing and developing.

5. Mother of Zeno profile image60
    Mother of Zenoposted 6 years ago

He's 15 months, and has a good understanding of verbal and body language, but he's testing me. I am pretty consistent when I impose discipline. If I tell him he's getting a spanking, or no cookie, or whatever it is depending on severity, I follow through. I think the worst thing is when he mimics me while he's doing something bad. I will say "No." and he will say "No-no-no" while laughing. Or I'll count to three in my stern voice, and he'll just count right back to me. Could it be that my husband doesn't use the same disciplinary methods as me?

6. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

First and foremost change his diet.  Remove all items with sodium benzoate and artificial coloring in particular Red 40, a lot of sugar and no caffeine.

It won't solve all problems but it will let you know if he has a sensitivity.  My granddaughter was out of control as a toddler, and nothing worked.  We were worried about her and her mom studied up on nutrition and changed her diet - she is a different child now. She is 7 now and if she gets some Red 40, she immediately get hyper, mean and rebellious.

Change diet first, then tackle the behavior once the diet is established.  Also remember toddlers are challenging just by nature of their age.

Yes you and your husband must be on the same team and using the same methods of discipline.  That might be part of the problem.

7. pfenby profile image60
    pfenbyposted 6 years ago

Firstly I believe that both parents need to be on the same page in regards to discipline & from my own experience when the Mum & the Dad back each other up & follow through its alot better. Children tend to learn by what they see over what is said to them.

working