jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Can you spend too much time with your pre-teen and/or teenage children?

1. sholland10 profile image94
    sholland10posted 6 years ago

Can you spend too much time with your pre-teen and/or teenage children?

What happens when you try to spend too much time with your child or children after they start turning to peers?

2. ithabise profile image84
    ithabiseposted 6 years ago

I suppose "too much" has to be determined by the parent; but these are the years where parenting begins to give way to friendship. So looking forward, "too much" should turn into much needed (and very likely desired) time.

3. paulw33 profile image38
    paulw33posted 6 years ago

I don't think there is or should be a time limit to spend with family sure kids now a days grow up and most of the time don't want to be parents but i think this is wrong  why because i think that family will always be there and should be there sure teens have friends and what ever but most of the time friends move on and when there young most of the time they go threw boyfriends so they move on and then you got the friends like one of my daughters friends that was a good friend for a few years then ended up blaming my daughter for stealing something witch she didn't and we found that out and now there not friends no more but they should all learn and see that family will always be there well for most family's anyways my thing is if you turn your back on your family you will end up old and alone one day.
                     Of course teens want there own time and stuff like that but there shouldn't be a time limit on parenting time.Untill your daughter son is grown and out of your house i feel that you should be there no matter what and guide them threw like just like my daughter she is 19 she don't live with me she was living with a friend and now she met a boy ad is planning on living with him but he isnt working and that means she wouldn't be able to keep the job she has now she would have to find one and i told her the other day i said you shouldn't move and give up your job and stuff i told her straight out you better not movie and then get pregnant and then go on welfare cause u know i will come out there because i don't agree with that crap living off the system if you are going to open your legs you better have means of taking care of it but that is my whole point you should always be there like i told my daughter even if they don't like it maybe some people think im wrong but i think that's how it should be.

4. The Frog Prince profile image78
    The Frog Princeposted 6 years ago

They usually have a tendency to rebel a bit my dear.

5. teaches12345 profile image95
    teaches12345posted 6 years ago

I would have loved to spend more time with my son as a teen but he would have felt hemmed in which would not have been a good thing for us. Pre-teens still want mom or dad around when they are with friends. A healthy relationship would  allow your child to build friendships under guided supervision,  Which means parents need to know who their teens are with and find time to privately discuss concerns as they arise.  Let's face it, teens prefer other teens.  Parents are in the background for awhile until their teen starts to venture out on his or her own (like college, marriage, etc.) and then parents suddenly become advisors again.  Good question!