jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

Do you think children learn Grammar naturally?

1. Adams-ebooks profile image67
    Adams-ebooksposted 6 years ago

Do you think children learn Grammar naturally?

Children are unable to differentiate between "me have" and "i have" at an early age. They learn to speak by imitating sounds but do they learn grammar naturally or is correcting them a successful method of teaching?

2. MickS profile image70
    MickSposted 6 years ago

Children like to be right, they should always be corrected, they learn the grammar of their parents by constantly listening and being corrected, and fine tuning their own understanding of how to communicate and get what they want.

3. Ironman1992 profile image60
    Ironman1992posted 6 years ago

I think children do learn the basics of grammar naturally, but correcting them would probably prove to be a successful method of teaching.

4. lburmaster profile image84
    lburmasterposted 6 years ago

I do not believe that grammer is natural. They can learn the basics from people around them but if a child is on their own, not paying attention to those around them, they will never learn grammer.

5. Brainy Bunny profile image96
    Brainy Bunnyposted 6 years ago

Kids learn basic grammar on their own, but the finer points do usually need to be taught. A child who reads widely will generally have better grammar than one who doesn't, because he or she has good models to imitate. Children who learn primarily through watching TV may not have as good a grasp of grammar, because as a society our spoken grammar tends to be much more casual (and "incorrect") than formal written grammar.

I correct my children about 90% of the time when they make a verbal mistake and 100% of the time when they make a written mistake, but I tell them very clearly that being corrected is not punishment, and making a mistake does not mean they are dumb. I want them to learn, not to feel bad about not being perfect.

6. Mary Stuart profile image80
    Mary Stuartposted 6 years ago

They learn the basics but need to be taught some of the finer points.

7. Adams-ebooks profile image67
    Adams-ebooksposted 6 years ago

@ Mary - True, they do need some guidance along the way but i find that children seem to pick up the basics naturally.

@ Brainy Bunny - I agree that children learn basic grammar on their own and I strongly agree with them learning from TV and radio! My nephew is a prime example of that scenario. If he hears it, he will repeat it. Correcting is part of the learning.

@ Iburmaster - I would have to say i do find children do learn basic grammar on their own as they learn to speak properly. They must be actively involved in conversation with those who will give proper correction when necessary and if possible, in a fun way that the child might remember.

@ Ironman1992 - Agreed!

@ MickS - I would say you are spot on except that you cannot correct the child EVERY time! I would drive both of you mad with a talkative 2 year old i would think!

Thank you all for commenting

8. JamesGrantSmith profile image60
    JamesGrantSmithposted 4 years ago

Grammar is not a natural anamalistic instinct, and therefore has to taught in a rigid form.