jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

Why do teenagers tend to have messy rooms and how can parents help them become n

1. easylearningweb profile image91
    easylearningwebposted 6 years ago

Why do teenagers tend to have messy rooms and how can parents help them become neatniks?

2. hoteltravel profile image71
    hoteltravelposted 6 years ago

Most teenagers think it is 'cool' to be messy. Neatness is a habit to be acquired as a child and it has to be imbibed by observing others, esp parents. It is more a way of life than a lesson learnt. The more parents try to teach their kids to be neat, the more they will keep themselves and their rooms messy.

3. easylearningweb profile image91
    easylearningwebposted 6 years ago

Well said, and so true, hoteltravel! I keep thinking that the best way to teach them is by setting a good example, but I keep thinking that there must be more to it.

Thank you for your reply.

4. profile image0
    Moeskyposted 5 years ago

This is an old question now but I stumbled on it and like to answer. I have a 20 year old still in house, still generally messy. But it's not a problem because I don't make it a problem and neither does he. Teenagers have messy rooms because there are far more important things in their lives than tidying up. Parents forget this. There is nothing wrong with being untidy.
    When my son has enough of his own mess he'll tidy up himself. When he has a girlfriend to stay he'll tidy up. When he has his own place and no-one but himself is responsible he'll tidy up when he feels like it. And when he's gone, I'll be left with an empty but tidy room for as long as I want, and I know I'll miss him being there, mess and all. Parents forget this too. Let them be untidy - it's not important!

1. easylearningweb profile image91
      easylearningwebposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Hey Moesky...I think you hit the nail on the head. I have not been making as big of a deal with this and I understand more now than before that kids need to control their own room and space. Hopefully, though, they will be tidier as adults!

working