jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Why do you think teenagers steal?

1. prairieprincess profile image95
    prairieprincessposted 5 years ago

Why do you think teenagers steal?

What are their motivations and how does a parent address those effectively?

2. lovelife08 profile image60
    lovelife08posted 5 years ago

There are numerous reasons why some teens steal (not all teenagers resort to a life of crime).

Some of them may steal to get much needed attention from their parents, or whoever is in charge of their welfare. Some may be mentally unstable. Some may do it to feed their families because they can't afford otherwise. Who knows.

3. profile image0
    avantitexanposted 5 years ago

It may be just acting out, or it could be a compulsion, trying to fit in, or a way to get a thrill (think adrenaline rush). Teens prefrontal cortex is still developing, so its hard for many of them to think past the "rush" or the "I want that" to the consequence level. For some teens, a good hear to heart with an understanding (but firm) police office might do the trick, for others, you might seek help with a school counselor or family therapist before things get too out of hand.

4. MickS profile image71
    MickSposted 5 years ago

I don't think all teenagers steal, I hope you meant Why do some Teenagers Steal.  For the same reasons as any one steals - greed, lack of self control, lack of moral fibre.

5. tillsontitan profile image87
    tillsontitanposted 5 years ago

I agree with MickS it is definitely only some teenagers, not all.  There are so many reasons, some deep inherent problems, others a whim or a dare.  If a teenager steals the reasons need to be deciphered before you can take any action.  If a teenager has never stolen but you find out she stole a lipstick let's say.  Find out why.  Maybe it's never happened before and someone dared her.  Unforunately she might just be dumb enough or scared enough or feel pressured enough to do it.  You really need to know the why of a teenager behavior before you can figure out how to deal with it.

6. gmwilliams profile image86
    gmwilliamsposted 5 years ago

I remember that some teenagers from poorer homes stating that they shoplifted to get things that their parents could not afford to give them.   These same teenagers indicated that they stole for the same reason, their parents could not afford to give them the things they needed.    These were the some teenagers who shock down more affluent teenagers in junior and high school.    There was one girl in junior high who regularly shook down the more affluent students for lunch monies because her parents could not afford monies for even the barest amenities.