Why do teenagers have a hard time obeying parents?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)
  1. CARIBQUEEN profile image63
    CARIBQUEENposted 13 years ago

Why do teenagers have a hard time obeying parents?

2. Anne Pettit profile image65
    Anne Pettitposted 13 years ago

Teenagers are emerging adults and are aware of their parents fallability.  Teenagers will comply with their parents wishes if they agree and see the value of compliance, or if the consequences are very dire.  Watch out for serious consequences because power struggles are problematic.

3. Monisajda profile image61
    Monisajdaposted 13 years ago

I agree, they have to redefine who they are and following parents suggestions doesn't always mesh with their flight for independence. While it is natural for them to establish themselves as unique and seperate persons, it is up to parents to help them in the process without being too controlling. Naturally, parents need to pay attention as to whether they go in good direction.

4. luckycharmz profile image60
    luckycharmzposted 13 years ago

When I was teen, it was no different.  I hated my parents, hated their rules, hated the way they treated me.

As an adult, I look back and am grateful for their discipline and patience. 

Someone once said: "You always remember when your parents say harsh words to you, but you never remember the awful things that you say to your parents."  It's very true.

5. Jarn profile image59
    Jarnposted 13 years ago

Because they weren't beaten hard enough when they were little?

6. gmwilliams profile image83
    gmwilliamsposted 13 years ago

Teenage children are at the stage of life when they individuate.  They are becoming their own persons who are experiencing life on their own term.    Teenagers are no longer children who will unquestioningly obey their parents. 

Teenagers have minds of their own and are questioning their parents.   Teenagers are starting to develop their own interests and need their parents' guidance less and less.  This is very normal.  I would seriously question a teenager who slavishly and sleepishly obey their parents.  This means that something is seriously wrong with that teenager and he/she will not develop into an independent adult and a leader. 

This type of teenager I would classify as retarded with no mind of their own.  I admire teenagers who are rebellious because this shows that they have moxie and are capable of independent thought.  A teenager who slavishly and sleepishly obey his/her parents will not develop into an independent adult or a leader.  He/she will be a submissive without self-confidence who will just be an amoeba aimlessly going through life.   

I believe that obedience is a bad word.  Who wants to be obedient.  Obedient means subverting one will to another.  I do not advocate this at all.  I believe that teenagers should be independent and do their thing as long as they do not harm others.   Independent teenagers will be the movers and shakers of tomorrow while obedient teenagers will be just submissive sheep.

7. jstfishinman profile image61
    jstfishinmanposted 10 years ago

Teens are struggling to find discipline and safe boundaries, while at the same time trying to find out how much their parents love them and how much other's love them.. This is  a very confusing time for teens, and parents.
    Teens will tell parents to leave them alone, but are really begging for parents to hold them and show me how much parents love them.
    Teens want to find their boundaries within the confines of love. Sadly, with broken homes and latch key children, these lessons are learned from peers, instead of the confines of a loving home.
    When I was being raised there was always a parent at home, most children don't have that any more, so we have created an unstable base for our teens to grow up in and are reaping the seeds of anarchy caused by weak homes.

8. ShailaSheshadri profile image91
    ShailaSheshadriposted 7 years ago

Teenagers are in the process of exploring the world. They are, in a way confused at this stage to decide what is right or wrong. They have vagueness in their opinions. They don't want to agree with their parents' ideas because they are not sure about their own opinions and decisions. Everyday they see changes in the continuously evolving world. They keep their opnions pending, like to wait and watch further. May be this is the reason why they don't agree with their parents' opinions. This leads to not obeying their parents during teenage.

9. Annette Roussey profile image64
    Annette Rousseyposted 7 years ago

When I was a teen, following the rules wasn't easy. One day I could stay out late, the next day not.
    I was also trying to make friends. ( I'm not one that lets others in easily.) It always seemed that the friends I wanted to hang with had different rules on how things were done. Even though I knew my parents rules, I wanted a friend more than I cared about being punished.
    Now, I have teenagers and it happens all the time. I decided not to be like my parents. I didn't ask questions about why. Instead, I told them I wanted them to invite their friends over for a cook out in the back yard. This allowed me to watch and listen to them without invading their social life. I became the "cool mom".
    It allowed me to see if the people invited were true friends or users. A true friend is respectful when your child tells them they have to check in while out or needs to complete a chore before hanging out. Users will use peer pressure to get your child to do things their way.
    I was happy that my children were mostly making good choices in friends. I also found out that my children were willing to listen when I pointed out the one or two that were not true friends. Then I let them decide on their own if they wanted to keep that person around.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)