jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

How important is it for parents to teach their children about African history? W

1. KrystalD profile image80
    KrystalDposted 6 years ago

How important is it for parents to teach their children about African history? Why is relevant?

Do you have any tips or resources for teaching children African history?

2. Africanus profile image59
    Africanusposted 6 years ago

History is the most biased and self-serving subject known to man. It is potentially quite lethal, and is constantly being revised and forced down peoples' throats.
    Take Hitler and his followers. They thought they were students of Teutonic History, and once they discovered that they were just ordinary Europeans, they set about  inventing a suitably dignified history for themselves: and what did they base it on? The Aryans, - a Hindu sect, whose primary God was 'Krishna,' a word which meant 'Black' - quite the opposite of the Teutonic ideal of the Aryan, and far removed from Ubermenschen. It is interesting to note that the only genuine Aryans are to be found in Afghanistan and such places. Then they took over the Swastika, another Asian symbol, and debased it, and after that they began the tradition of misusing the National Flag and rekindling Fascism which they thought brought them closer to their  Roman roots-the 'fasces' was that bunch of rods with an axe at its centre, which was carried at the front of Roman Legions. They interpreted it to signify the bunching together of like-minded oppressors, when the historical truth was that the Germans were sworn enemies of their Roman conquerors, and were responsible for their final defeat in the forests of Germany  (I believe it was in AD 47).
    History is only ever used to apportion blame, but it tells fantastic stories. History will always let you down, simply because no nation can remain underdogs or winners all the time.
    By all means permit your offspring to learn history,  but  don't even encourage them. Teach them to hang loose and think to the future. History may well have a negative effect on their ability to remain open-minded.  A person devoted to his/her historical past is like a miser devoted to his money. It makes life miserable.

I don't teach my children African History, but we discuss issues which appear interesting, and once they beginning to talk in terms of injustice, I tell them, 'Nobody's Perfect.'

3. donnaisabella profile image80
    donnaisabellaposted 6 years ago

Do you mean African history as pertaining to African American history or general African history as in the African continent's history? If the latter is your answer, from the book of history. People who know their past are empowered, people who do not are lost, so yes, it is important to teach children our history.

4. NightFlower profile image60
    NightFlowerposted 6 years ago

Because if you don't know who you are it's harder to guide where you're going.  Also there are no surprises. Children can better face the challenges of partiality and not disguise hurt feelings when they meet with opposition but how to handle them rationally. They need to understand their beauty and worth when finding out that many situations are not going to be at their access or to their advantage with the fact they may have to push harder to be successful. They are going to need to know when and how they might need to confront dire circumstances or not to avoid them for their own protection and safety. They will be uninformed and  proud of it rather than ashamed or in denial of their history.

5. Ruby211 profile image70
    Ruby211posted 6 years ago

I believe it is important to teach my children African American history so they can see the burdens that still affects this country today. They need to know the history in school isn't always accurate. That the men who wrote the constitution did not live by it as for the fact they still owned slaves although they stated "All men are created equal."  They need to know the civil war wasn't all its pictured out to be and that the tension after that war did not cease. I'm a descendent from Benjamin Franklin but have two African American cousins who are beautiful people. Unfortently they had been dealt a harder hand then I have. They are strong women now but that burden still follows them, as the burden of guilt and shame that people could be so ignorant to another race still follows many whites. I believe they need to also learn African culture so they will never be ignorant to the beauty that other cultures hold. I want them to learn not only African culture but native, asian, hispanic,  european, and any other culture they question. I believe the only way to not make the same mistakes is to open up to other cultures and learn not only the pain but the beauty. I am still learning alot more about the African culture but so far everything I have opened up to learn is amazing.

6. Mariaam Bhatti profile image61
    Mariaam Bhattiposted 6 years ago

If it is African Amerian history I am sure you will have wonderful people to give you proper information as I don't know much about it except what I read from books  but African history in general can will help them understand Africans better than what they learn from the media,it will help them not to stereotype people,  treat everybody with respect regardless of their background.

Most importantly it will help them value things they take for granted .I have spoken to  some Irish people here who have  opportunities but don't take them about how it can be like to be born into poverty and not be able to pursue education because it is not free you can not afford.

7. bigsands profile image40
    bigsandsposted 6 years ago

It is very important if you live in Africa. One should know as much as possible about the history of where you live.