jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

As a parent how do you prepare for your child's first school attendance ever?

1. prettydarkhorse profile image64
    prettydarkhorseposted 6 years ago

As a parent how do you prepare for your child's first school attendance ever?

The first time a child attend school is considered a big milestone in his/her life. This is a new environment for them and it requires preparation, both for the parent and the child. We want to make sure that they can cope up with the day to day activities and that they are happy while doing schoolwork.

2. mariale2003 profile image60
    mariale2003posted 6 years ago

First day is a very emotional day for everybody, it wont be a easy task for them either for the parents, in my case I was worse than my little ones, but I found a book very helpful, popular and beautiful, "The Kissing Hand" by Audry Penn is a perfect first day story. This is a heart-warming story about a little raccoon ready for his first day school, talking about his feelings and how mommy found a  lovely magical solution. My kids love it!!! and no just help them it really help me!!!
    I think is just about how we, as a parent, picture "the first day" to them, because, it depends on how children live that experience, they will  react in the future in all separation related events.

3. Abundant old soul profile image81
    Abundant old soulposted 6 years ago

It's harder on you than it is on them.
    Get a good night's sleep.
    Bath before bed time
    read a good bed time book
    Really be enthusiastic as you go to school
    If the kid cries, love them, but remember, you have to let them go.
    Teachers will take care of your child.

Remember mamma D's rule:
    The first step they take is the first step away from you. Let them go to their dreams."

4. rocknrollcowboy profile image72
    rocknrollcowboyposted 6 years ago

I couldn't prepare, I was a nervous wreck. Actually, I had been talking to him about school for months in advance and encouraging him as well as talking about how great and fun school is. On his first day, my son was very excited and when I took him he was very happy and eager to meet new kids and his teacher. I, on the otherhand, was very sad and actually cried.

5. stanleyreese profile image76
    stanleyreeseposted 5 years ago

I have had three that I have helped face their first day of school. I have two left to face the trauma. Put yourself in their shoes. How would you feel?

I take them to their new school for the registration/open house and then I take them back the weekend before school starts-when there is no one else there. We walk around the outside and talk. We play on the playground. It acclimates them as much as possible. But, there is really nothing to prepare them (or you) for the BIG day. Good night's sleep, good breakfast and a good hug with an "I'm proud of you" added for good measure.

I have a few good breakfast recipes in my new book "Relax Dad", available on Amazon.com and at www.RelaxDad.com