jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

How do you teach a young child Patience and why?

1. Pearldiver profile image80
    Pearldiverposted 6 years ago

How do you teach a young child Patience and why?

What tried and true methods would you recommend to new parents or parent?

2. tarajeyaram profile image58
    tarajeyaramposted 6 years ago

Teaching patience to your child can be difficult but it can be done.  Provide a good environment and show the child by examples.  Talk to them even if they don't understand you.  This will let you create a relationship with your child.  Kids learn by show and tell - ask them to make up stories about being patient.  This way you can understand what the child is thinking and develop your training further. Most importantly, adults can be an example. 

Why should you teach patience?  Teaching patience to a child can have numerous benefits.  Being patience allows them to think and act properly.  If they don't have patience, they won't have time to think of the logic.   

Hope it helps.  Cheers.

3. sandrabusby profile image84
    sandrabusbyposted 6 years ago

The best reason I can think of to teach a child patience is that it will add to his quality of life as he grows up.  Being patient activates the "stop and plan" loop in the brain, rather than the "flight or fight" loop which most people use much too often, and this keeps them in a constant state of vigilance -- not good for your overall health, mentally or physically.  Sandra Busby

4. risalat profile image68
    risalatposted 6 years ago

He he he, I myself haven't learned that ... how am I am supposed to teach a child? tongue

5. profile image0
    Starmom41posted 5 years ago

One way kids can learn to be patient is if parents and others follow through when they say they'll do something. 
    As an example, if you tell a child you'll play with him after you finish something you're currently doing, he should be assured that you actually will.

working