How do you teach your children to share?

1. algarveview profile image89
    algarveviewposted 6 years ago

How do you teach your children to share?

2. Sue Adams profile image97
    Sue Adamsposted 6 years ago

I have, on desperate occasions, used the Judgment of Solomon technique where I threaten to split the disputed object into two halves, even if it involves a most precious toy. That soon unites both fighting kids against me as a common enemy and stops them squabbling amongst themselves.

3. TripleAMom profile image86
    TripleAMomposted 6 years ago

Similar to Sue Adams, when something involves sharing one item, particularly food or  something that needs to be split in half, I allow one child to split the item and the other child to choose which half they want.  You have never seen such perfectly equal halves in all of your life smile 

As for sharing other things, this is quite difficult.  i have used consequences for not sharing, like having something taken away.  I've taken the item away from all of the children and given the item a "time out".  But, as the children have gotten older, I have made statements like, "I'm not going to make you share this item, but when you want to borrow something, I will not make your sister/brother share either".  This also works at times, particularly when I mention specific items that they like to borrow from each other. 

I guess it really depends on the situation.