jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

At What Age Should You Start Swimming Lessons For Your Child?

1. Shil1978 profile image92
    Shil1978posted 6 years ago

At What Age Should You Start Swimming Lessons For Your Child?

2. MrAungst profile image60
    MrAungstposted 6 years ago

I started swimming lessons at 5. I think that's a really good age, although it should be on a person to person basis. If your kid isn't ready, you'll know. But learning to swim is definitely important.

3. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

At whatever age they show a genuine interest.  The sooner the better but you can't force it or you will end up with a child afraid of the water.

4. Rev. Akins profile image76
    Rev. Akinsposted 6 years ago

We started our son at 2 and he loved it. He would swim underwater and really enjoyed the water. Then we were not around a pool or any where to swim for a couple years and tried again at 4. That was a disaster. He hated the water for over a year because of the way the lessons were done and maybe something else. We tried again at 5 and the pool was better but the instruction was pathetic. He swims pretty well now, but that is mostly parent taught.
    I would say look for two things, 1) is the child interested in swimming 2) is the teaching/ lessons available and are they actually going to teach your child to swim or just play in the water.

5. johnr54 profile image45
    johnr54posted 5 years ago

I just wrote a new hub on this subject based on my 30 years of experience teaching swim lessons - check it out!

http://johnr54.hubpages.com/hub/How-to- … im-Lessons

working