jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Why is my 2 year old clingy and tearful after her nap?

1. Shawna Van Trease profile image59
    Shawna Van Treaseposted 6 years ago

Why is my 2 year old clingy and tearful after her nap?

We entered this new phase within the last month or so where she often wakes from her nap crying and needy. I saw this happen with a friend's 2 year old as well.

2. Moms-Secret profile image84
    Moms-Secretposted 6 years ago

maybe bad dreams???
    Even cute little monsters can be scary at this age.  Have they been introduced to something new?

3. profile image72
    win-winresourcesposted 6 years ago

Hi Shawna-

Waking up for everyone, but particularly for little ones,  is a transition period when not everything is making sense.  Order has not yet been re-established and can be scary.  What better place to put things back in place than in your arms.

-DW

4. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

My older daughter did the same thing.  I was so excited when she went down for a nap and I had a moment to regroup.  But I dreaded when she woke up because she would have a horrible crying jag that seemed to go on forever.  She outgrew it - that and naps actually. 

I wonder if as toddlers, they just wake up in the wrong phase of sleep.  I would just hold and soothe my daughter and after a few minutes try to distract her with TV, or a snack or just about anything to stop that crying!  LOL I truly miss those days.

working