As a parent, how can you teach the children the value of being green specially a

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (10 posts)
  1. prettydarkhorse profile image64
    prettydarkhorseposted 6 years ago

As a parent, how can you teach the children the value of being green specially at home?

The children acquire important values specially at home, because let us face it, it is the home where they are molded in terms of behavior and it is where lifelong values are transferred from the parents to the children.

As the caretaker of our children how can we make sure that they know the basic of being part of the preservation of the environment?

2. tobusiness profile image87
    tobusinessposted 6 years ago

Teach the children by example, encourage a love for nature by showing them how wonderful and how fragile this little planet really is.
    Show them the damage done and what each and everyone of us can do to rectify it, after all, the children will inherit our bad management of this planet.

3. MickS profile image70
    MickSposted 6 years ago

That is a strange desire, to see your children green, probably the safest way is to buy them green, body paint.

4. adjkp25 profile image92
    adjkp25posted 6 years ago

We involve both of our kids in many things around our house that encourage them to be “green”.

Both of the kids are responsible for taking the recycling out to the cans every couple of days.  They need to be reminded once in a while (since they are teenagers) but it is still their chore.

We also have some animals that they have to shovel manure from.  They have to help, everyday, to scoop everything up and add it to the pile at the back corner of the property.  Once it has composted down they get to help move it to the garden.

They also get to take food scraps out to the animals.  Fortunately our animals eat almost any food scrap we have.  What they do not eat goes into our composting bin in the yard; it too goes to the garden when ready.

Just treat the whole thing as just something the entire family does and they should participate, even if they really don’t like it.

5. Mmargie1966 profile image92
    Mmargie1966posted 6 years ago

Setting an example is always the best way to teach a child.  If they ask why you do what you do, by all means, explain it.

If your child isn't that observant, discuss the issues with him or her.  Explain why we recycle, conserve energy and water, and not waste food.

6. rave1432 profile image60
    rave1432posted 6 years ago

Teach them to recycle. You have to explain that the more garbage that piles up, the more it hurts the earth and the less clean air we get. Learning to recycle at an early age is important if you want them to be use to it.
    Teaching them to plant trees and garden can help too, using that banana peel as compost for the dirt is recycling, but not all things are. That can be a fun way to do it.

7. katieababy74 profile image60
    katieababy74posted 6 years ago

Make it fun - that's what we do in our house.  My kids are 6 and 2.5 years old.  We found some boxes and had fun decorating and naming them all - you know one for plastic, one for tin and so on.  The kids love putting the recycling in 'their' bins now.

We also have a bin where the girls collect items which they think would be good for creative time and once a week we make models out of whats in the bin.  We made some awesome milk bottle bird feeders last week.

The key is definitely fun!

8. TheListLady profile image67
    TheListLadyposted 6 years ago

I'm a bit fanatical about this because even when my two were babies I was very much into all the healthiest of products such as cleaning products and personal care products - in fact I started way back then (40 years ago) to make my own products such as natural shampoos and skin lotions, simple cleaning products, etc. I also had a garden to make sure our food was as fresh as possible. So my children grew up thinking 'green.' Honestly, it is much easier to teach them to live green by my lifestyle than by talking.

9. tom hellert profile image59
    tom hellertposted 6 years ago

PDH,
    although I am not a big "green" fella despite my icon....I would approach it on a level of "waste not want not" and If you were a dog/cat/ animal would you want some one to throw trash in your house and or Would you want someone to do that to you?
    As i believe the whole Green movement is hogwash... but being a good person and being considerate to others is a better reason to "behave".
    TH

10. rocknrollcowboy profile image71
    rocknrollcowboyposted 6 years ago

Be a good example, teach them and constantly practice what you teach and they will learn what they are taught.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)