jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

What to do about adult oriented shows that attract kids?

1. Eric Newland profile image60
    Eric Newlandposted 5 years ago

What to do about adult oriented shows that attract kids?

Maybe I was being naive, but I was shocked when I learned that junior high school students are one of the largest demographics watching Glee. I've watched the show off and on, but from very early on I considered it a show for high school on up based on the sometimes racy topics it explores. In hindsight, though, it's obvious why it's attractive to teeny-boppers.

What, if anything, should be done about grown-up shows with kid appeal? How can a responsible parent shield their children from things they're not ready for when battling pop culture and peer pressure?

2. breastpumpreviews profile image80
    breastpumpreviewsposted 5 years ago

I think parents should lead by example.  I just wrote a hub tonight about this very topic.  Its alarming how much the media tries to influence kids and teens.  Prime time TV is full of sex, violence, and other junk that isn't appropriate for kids.  In our house we use parental controls on the tv and cable boxes.  The kids can only watch G and PG movies and shows.

3. ananceleste profile image72
    anancelesteposted 5 years ago

I have three kids in high school, two juniors and one freshman. We watched Glee a couple of times, The music is great and the themes are a perfect platform to open a forum with my kids. They would talk about school, friends and even ask questions. To be honest, some of those questions are difficult, but is ME answering them.

I have learned a lot about teens and how everyday issues affect them. Let's not forget, this is a TV show. And truthfully, it has helped me to bring examples and situations to the kids I mentor. Yeah, the topics are "strong", but so is life. I cant lie to myself as to what being a teen is all about. I love them too much.

4. spartucusjones profile image95
    spartucusjonesposted 5 years ago

I'm not a parent so I may not be the most qualified to answer this. But I do think that it is up to each individual parent to determine what their kids are allowed to watch. They should also have an awareness of what their children are watching, and not just leave their children to their own devices.

In the case of more adult oriented shows, if a parent does allow their child to watch it, it may be wise for the parents to sit down and watch it with them. As suggested by ananceleste this could be used as a platform to generate meaningful  discussions with your children.