jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Do you allow your children to play outside by themselves?

1. breastpumpreviews profile image81
    breastpumpreviewsposted 5 years ago

Do you allow your children to play outside by themselves?

I remember when I was growing up, I was able to go outside and play anytime without my mom constantly supervising us.

2. Made profile image61
    Madeposted 5 years ago

We live on the countryside. My children are 4 and 5. They can play outside by themselves, but I always keep an eye on them. We have a pond behind our house and that's what I fear most. We have seen snakes here every summer and I worry a little about the children, when they are running around without shoes. We live in a quite safe place for children.

3. profile image73
    win-winresourcesposted 5 years ago

Hello BPR-

Sadly, times have changed from when children could safely play outside unsupervised.  That said, the degree of supervision should be commensurate with the age of the child, the environment (dangerous features like the pond Made mentioned, lack of fencing), and any special conditions (like unsavory neighbors or an estranged spouse).

This thinking applies to walking home from school, or riding a bike to the store, or walking the dog, or any other potentially unsupervised activity.

I wish it wasn't so.

By the way, my kids are 31 and 26 and they can pretty much play outside by themselves.

4. nightwork4 profile image60
    nightwork4posted 5 years ago

yes we do. we live in a smaller city and i guess people here don't have to worry about their kids as much as big city people. not to say we don't check on them but we do still let them be kids.