Do you allow your children to speak to you anyhow and have their own way at an e

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)
  1. LadyFiddler profile image76
    LadyFiddlerposted 10 years ago

Do you allow your children to speak to you anyhow and have their own way at an early age?

Sometimes I see toddlers throwing tantrums in toy stores etc , screaming and squealing , while the parent is normal as ever and would not make an attempt to bring this child under control. Do your child throw these tantrums at you? what do you do? do your kids yell at you?

2. CraftytotheCore profile image75
    CraftytotheCoreposted 10 years ago

Before my son was diagnosed with Autism, he did in fact have pure meltdowns and screaming tantrums in stores.  It was very difficult to manage him in the store.  Eventually, he was diagnosed with Autism and sensory disorders.  To this day, going to a store is very difficult for him even though he is older.

Some tips which I've learned that can seemingly help all children are:

1) If the child is having a tantrum in the store, figure out what's causing the tantrum.  Is the child tired, hungry, overstimulated?  Sometimes it's a matter of the child wanting to run loose in the store.  That's always been a big no no for my family.

2) Starting from a young age, place the child in a cart while shopping at the store.  The child will learn that that's where they sit and they are not allowed to run loose to prevent injury to themselves and others in the store.  (There's nothing worse than when I'm walking in the store and a child darts out in front of me almost getting injured which could have been prevented if the parent didn't let them run loose.)

3) Don't bribe your child with rewards for bad behavior.  It's ok to offer a reward to the child for a job well done listening while in the store. But if the child doesn't comply, don't reward the behavior. 

4) Keep a chart for the child at home, age appropriate, which rewards the child with something for good behavior at the store.   

5) Talk to your child and let them know what's expected of them at the store.  Give them advanced notice so at the store the transitions will be easier.

6) If your child's behavior doesn't stop and it's too difficult to continue shopping, leave the store and go back later. 

7) When my children were smaller, I packed a goody bag of stuff they could do in the cart while I did my shopping.  Now they bring their electronic games to prevent boredom.

LadyFiddlerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hi Craftytothecore good to see you and thanks so much for taking the time out to answer my question i do appreciate it , Great answer smile

3. Josh Makaveli profile image41
    Josh Makaveliposted 10 years ago

You cannot just ignore your kids doing this stuff because this will turn our to be a huge mistake of your life. If you let them do on their own then they will never ever listen to you and whenever you try to disagree with them on any point they feel offended and react in extremely bad manners and it will become their habit.
    You have to train them to be sober and sophisticated, let them talk softly because being parents, this is our responsibility to teach them right whether it seem wrong to them.

Hi Josh so true you have to train them RIGHT else you will have a spoiled BRAT on your hands later on. Thanks for dropping by smile

2. Josh Makaveli profile image41
      Josh Makaveliposted 10 years agoin reply to this

you are welcome dear smile

4. Jackie Lynnley profile image86
    Jackie Lynnleyposted 10 years ago

I brought my children up to be respectful and obedient just like my parents did me and they were. They were always mannerly and quiet and would never even think to have tantrums or fits. In fact they would be wide eyed and shocked watching other children act that way. I think my son has done better as a parent than my daughter but even her children would not act wild and disobedient in public.
    You just from the beginning can teach your child what is acceptable and what is not. I get disgusted with parents that have absolutely no control over children and believe they should not bring them out to make others have to endure their loud bad manners!

Hey Jackie thanks for stopping by to answer my question so true i hate to see it i feel like throwing a tantrum on the parents, for encouraging such ridiculous behavior in PUBLIC or Private.

5. Erin Trefz profile image69
    Erin Trefzposted 10 years ago

Absolutely not! We raise our kids to have respect.  For this to happen, they need respect too. I have read a couple great books lately, and also wrote a Hub about the children we raise. 
    If my four-year old, or 18 month old would throw a fit at home we do not fuel it.  Many times they want a reaction, so if it is my oldest we send him to his room and say he can come out when he is done.  We make sure he is not going to hurt himself, our dog, or little brother.  If he is safe, he will stay in his room as long as it takes him to get control of himself.  Since his goal is usually attention from us it does not take long.

If the tantrum is in a store, I most definitely do not give him what he is throwing a fit over.  I either walk away(anticipating he will follow) since this again takes the attention away from him, or we leave the store. 

Don't judge us mommy's who have a kid throwing a fit.  Every kid hits their limit & it is to everyone's benefit that we don't do whatever it takes to give in & get them what the want.  Remember, they will be an adult in the work force someday!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)