jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

When do you transition a toddler from a crib to a toddler bed?

1. Max Dalton profile image89
    Max Daltonposted 5 years ago

When do you transition a toddler from a crib to a toddler bed?

I'm a bit paranoid that our daughter will roll out or just get out of her bed and run around her room, which would result in her not sleeping in her bed, which will result in her getting up throughout the night because she's not getting quality sleep, which throws her schedule off for the day, which makes everyone miserable.

2. rlsoden4 profile image60
    rlsoden4posted 5 years ago

My daughter was 22 months when we converted her crib to the toddler bed. She pushed her stuffed animals next to the bars, stepped on them, got a leg over, toppled out of the crib and broke her arm. My husband converted the bed when we got home from the hospital.

She does get out of bed and run when she is supposed to be napping (not at night) but it comes down to discipline and teaching her not to. Some days are better than others. She does not do it at night time because it is too dark in her room. Good luck!

3. profile image71
    win-winresourcesposted 5 years ago

Hi Max-

Easy.  The first time you find the child climbing, or has climbed, out of the crib.  Put it in storage.  I suppose you could put the wound babred wire around the top...  Well, maybe not...

Even if she gets out of her bed and falls asleep on the floor with her toys - no big deal.  Either way, if the need to cry overcomes her, it will happen in the crib or out.

A rolled up blanked makes a good speed bump on the open side of a toddler bed.

-DW

4. ShootersCenter profile image72
    ShootersCenterposted 5 years ago

It's not long after they learn to walk they'll begin to climb. It's just a matter of time until they'll get out of the crib so you might as well move them to a bed before they climb out of the crib and get hurt. My daughter was climbing out at 13 months.

5. fitmom profile image82
    fitmomposted 5 years ago

My daughter would wake up from naps really cranky and I wanted to be able to tell her to just get up when she was ready. I thought that if she was in a toddler bed it would be easier. I was right!

She was a little bit older than 2 (about 26 months) when we made the switch. She really didn't give us a hard time.

When she was getting ready to phase out her nap, she would stay up talking and reading books. It was more like a quiet time for her in her room, which was fine too.

Only one time at bedtime did she get up and come out of her room. With a serious warning, she got right back in bed and hasn't done it since.

It's definitely important for children to get enough sleep or they are cranky and hard to deal with. Best of luck!

working