What things can cause a weird smell in a baby's room?

1. Max Dalton profile image90
    Max Daltonposted 5 years ago

What things can cause a weird smell in a baby's room?

There is the strangest smell that crops up in my baby daughter's room at night after we put her down for bed and close her door. It smells kind of like sour milk and we can't pinpoint where it's coming from or what it is. It only happens on days where it's between 60 and 75 degrees Fahrenheit. Any thoughts would be appreciated, as well as input on anything that can cause a strange smell in a baby's room for other people experiencing this problem.

2. parentsreview profile image81
    parentsreviewposted 5 years ago

There's a couple possibilities here.  If you run a humidifier, it could be causing mold that might smell after a while.  If you run a humidifier in your babies room frequently, you need to clean it with vinegar at least once a month and change the filter.  Another issue could be the mattress.  If you've ever found your daughter soaked through there's the likelihood that some of that moisture has seeped into her mattress.  Crib mattresses have vents on the sides to help with this kind of thing, but most of the time it isn't enough.  That's why it's recommended to never take the plastic off a crib mattress, and just use a comforter that can be removed and washed.  It's also possible there's some residue of formula somewhere in the room that's become a little rancid--maybe in some hard to find spot behind some furniture.  I know our rocking chair used to get a sticky spot beside it every once in a while during night time feedings, that we never remembered causing.  It just seemed to develop every once in a while.  Anyway, that's a few things I can think of off the top of my head.  Hope this helps.

3. tamarawilhite profile image91
    tamarawilhiteposted 5 years ago

A bottle of milk that fell behind a crib or changing table and is going bad. A blanket or sheet she threw up milk upon that is now mildewing in the laundry or in a corner.

working