jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (10 posts)

What is the greatest gift you can give the elderly in a nursing home or assisted

1. Charlu profile image81
    Charluposted 5 years ago

What is the greatest gift you can give the elderly in a nursing home or assisted care facility?

2. Eliminate Cancer profile image58
    Eliminate Cancerposted 5 years ago

Ask them to tell you a story - that's a gift that gives to both of you. 

It reminds them about how special and interesting their life is, it tells them that you care - and it is so rewarding, because you discover things that you won't get from modern media... 

Life is about connecting with other people.  No small tangible gift can replace a connection of the mind and heart.

3. sylvia13 profile image68
    sylvia13posted 5 years ago

The greatest gift you can give to the elderly in a nursing home or assisted care facility is the biggest fruit basket you can find! In addition to "normal" fruit, include unusual items that not only look good, but have a great taste as well, like strawberries, kiwi fruit, pears, mandarines and grapes! Make sure you include some colour, have it decorated nicely and your elderly person will be in the seventh heaven!

4. Catzgendron profile image75
    Catzgendronposted 5 years ago

Spending time with them is all they want, play cards, bring a board game, read to them, have a lunch or dinner with them, sit and watch tv with them. I worked in a nursing home years ago and it broke my heart to see the sadness on the faces of those whose family seemed to forget them.

5. Peggy W profile image93
    Peggy Wposted 5 years ago

I would have to say that spending time with them is the greatest gift of all.  Depending upon their physical or mental disabilities, other things can be done by way of engaging them or even entertaining them...but your physical presence in the life of your loved ones...nothing can take the place of that. 

If, by chance, you do not know the elderly...then just visiting with them, singing a song, playing some cards, taking them outside to get some fresh air...or a myriad of other things to keep them happily engaged would be wonderful.  I know a neighbor who just got her standard poodle tested and certified, and she will now be taking him to hospitals and nursing homes.  That is also a wonderful thing to do!

6. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

Something that might really be nice for them is CD player (or Mp3) and audiobooks.  It will help them pass the time and be very entertaining.  Newspaper and magazine subscriptions are also welcome.

Your company is probably the best gift you can give.

7. smzclark profile image60
    smzclarkposted 5 years ago

As the saying goes, 'the greatest gift of all is time'.

8. tamarawilhite profile image91
    tamarawilhiteposted 5 years ago

What can you do or provide to someone in a nursing home that will make a world of difference in their lives? read more

9. Kris Heeter profile image81
    Kris Heeterposted 5 years ago

I agree with many of those that have already answered - time.  Time just sitting and chatting with them is the best gift of all. 

I found with my grandmother, asking her to tell me stories about her childhood, what it was like growing up during the Great Depression and then later what it was like starting a family during WWII was a great way to spend quality time.   I found the stories fascinating.

10. Levertis Steele profile image84
    Levertis Steeleposted 4 years ago

My suggestions: diabetic socks, footies, warm gowns and PJ's, large bibs, tooth brushes, tooth paste, lotions often used in hospitals, thin comforters and cotton blankets, cotton loungers, house shoes, diabetic snacks that meet the approval of their medical team. Diabetic socks are easily stretched and they are soft. Diabetics and non-diabetics can wear them.