jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

How do you as parents get respect from your children?

1. Charlu profile image81
    Charluposted 5 years ago

How do you as parents get respect from your children?

2. adjkp25 profile image91
    adjkp25posted 5 years ago

We get respect from our kids because we treat them with respect.  My wife and I both feel that we have to have mutual respect in our family, even if we have a disagreement about something.

It is not practical to expert your children to respect you if you do not show them how to respect someone.   Lead by example of this and they will get it pretty quick.

3. Joyette  Fabien profile image89
    Joyette Fabienposted 5 years ago

I believe that parents should model the behaviours and values which they claim to uphold. Children are quick to notice when parents do not practice what they preach and this is one sure way to erode their respect. Also children respect parents who are consistent and fair particularly in administering correction. If they can see these qualities then they accept that their parents are correcting them for their own good. Most importantly, parents should not lie to their children or tell lies in their presence. Respect is easily lost if parents are perceived to be dishonest and untrustworthy.

4. edhan profile image60
    edhanposted 5 years ago

Respect needs to be earned whether you are parent or children.

Open communication with your kids is the most important part of gaining respect. If you scold your children, you must explain the reason behind it and why they are getting the scolding.

Most of the time, children do not know why they are being scolded for. So with open communication, you will gain respect from your children.