jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

How to boost a toddler's appetite?

1. Emeraldgreen21 profile image69
    Emeraldgreen21posted 5 years ago

How to boost a toddler's appetite?

My little one is a year and six months old now, and though he's not underweight, he's not gaining enough weight.  Are there ways to boost his appetite naturally?  We're having trouble getting him to finish his food as it is, so getting him to eat more will be a challenge in itself.  I'd love some advice from other Mommies in the know!

2. sparklelynn profile image59
    sparklelynnposted 5 years ago

I have the same issue with my little boy he's almost 2 and he does the same thing with food. What I have started doing is giving him very small snacks through out the day. Like a couple of pretzels with a little yogurt or by themselves, he drinks a lot of vitamin d milk and that helps, also he loves corn. Honestly it does seems to help especially because he likes to move around so much I can't get him to sit still enough to eat a lot of food. Oh also cereal bars are great the ones gerber make s are good and there not to big and not expensive  and my son love them. I hope this helped.

3. sunbun143 profile image84
    sunbun143posted 5 years ago

I have a picky toddler. He rarely finishes a meal and his likes/dislikes vary from day to day (sometimes meal to meal). Some things that work for us: encourage just one more bite, and then leave his plate on the table so that you can feed him another bite or two after the everyone else is done, and mash chicken or fish in rice (to hide proteins - which my guy doesn't like), give whole milk with a drop of vitamins (Poly-Vi-Sol) and maybe chocolate milk powder (it's added sugar, but if it gets him to drink a cup of milk...), Pediasure on days he really doesn't eat much, and wholesome snacks like cheese and ham slices with whole wheat crackers or bread. I hope that helps!

4. peachpurple profile image82
    peachpurpleposted 5 years ago

My toddler has this problem since he was 1 year old. I had to give him a piece of biscuit or cookie and tell him to promise me that he will finish his meal. It works everytime. Though it is a bad habit, it is still better than having to shout at him and loose your temper over his meal. Anyway, he only loose his appetite when the meal is not his favorite food.